Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Menus

Hi

Just wondering do you have a menu for your under ones? we have a parent who would like a different one from the one the other children are having and i was wondering what everyone does? Also if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their menu's with me that would be great.

Thanks Nic

Hi

Our under ones have the same menu as all the other children. If it is something that the under one's can't have/won't eat such as rice they will have a substitute such as pasta, what they have to eat each day is written in each baby's daily diary. We do offer a separate weaning menu, which contains different pureed vegetables and fruits.

Generally the cook will go into the room in the morning and tell the baby room staff what it is on the menu and the staff will tell the cook what they will need according to which babies are in on that day. We have weaning charts for every baby and as they try new foods at home the parent updates their chart and then we will start introducing them at nursery. For example if it was roast chicken dinner with cake and custard. One child may be able to have the potato's and veg but just not the chicken, one child might be able to have it all but not gravy, a couple may not be able to eat the cake but could have the custard. Or some may just need vegetables and fruit. The staff then serve each child's meal as they know whether to blend, mash or chop the food.

Sorry went off on a tangent there. But basically, no we don't have a separate baby menu but we do offer them different foods/substitutions if the food on the menu is something that is unsafe for babies or that an individual baby hasn't yet been introduced to.

HTH

Edited by Guest

Jojom any chance you could let me see your menu?

Thanks Undercoverangel that sounds like what we do at the moment, but this parents wants a different menu!!!

Guest jane707

It is not good for children to eat different things from their friends when sitting together according to experts. It makes them feel different and left out, especially if friends are getting something they see as special like cake.

If the parents want a different menu and it's not for religious or cultural reasons it sounds like they need a different setting..?

We don't have a seperate menu for under 1's but we do cook for individual babies when they are weaning. As others have said we work with parents and once they have introduced a new food at home we introduce it at nursery. I have attached our menu's although I am not sure if they will help. Oh and they have a yoghurt or fruit after lunch and tea.

newmenus.doc

Edited by Guest

Would like to see you weaning chart, sounds like a good idea to share with parents!

How does it work? x

Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the paperwork that nursery use and would probably be in trouble for putting it on the internet as I work for a large chain.

But, I can try to describe?

It's just basically a table with collumns for: FOODS ALLOWED, DATE INTRODUCED and PARENTS SIGNATURE. At the top it explains that every time parent's introduce a new food at home, they should inform their key worker and together they will update the chart. We do ask that the child tries each new food 3 times at home before it's introduced at nursery in case of a reaction. We keep the weaning charts in a ring binder, and then they are easy to access every day when the cook comes in asking what meals they need for the day.

There does normally get to a point when baby is eating prety much everything where the parent will write "I am happy for X to eat all foods now" and sign it. At that point, the weaning chart gets put into the child's learning journal and is nice to look back on when they get older.

HTH and it makes sense as I have to leave for nursery in 2 mins so was rushing! x