Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Flow Policy

Hi, We've recently gone to free flow at our pre-school and I have written the free flow policy in conjunction with our setting leader because I felt we needed to have one. Please could anyone advise whether this covers all the bases, or whether I've missed anything obvious out.

Or if you have one of your own that you're willing to share that would be great!

Free_Flow_Policy.doc

We don't have a policy for it although we do have an outdoor learning one (unless its been subsumed in another policy by now...) I think it looks good. Only comment that might be covered by another policy at your setting is to do with sun cream - you mention wearing hats but not that. Also maybe stress that parents need to ensure their children have appropriate clothing for the weather if you plan to free flow all year. I'm amazed at the number of children who turn up in winter with no coat or even a jumper!

Hi SuzieC8, we operate free-flow and don't have a specific policy so you have given me something to think about. Your policy looks good to me and appears to be very comprehensive. Do you find you do less adult-led or adult-initiated work outside because you spend more time focussed on the safety of the children? I was interested because I sometimes find that this is the case in our outside area which is very large with lots of areas for the children to explore. Good luck with the free-flow, mrsW.x

Hi, Thanks for the tip re. sun cream, will include that (our policy is that parents must apply, only a 2.5 hour morning session so not time for all that!)

We're only just starting to free flow so we're feeling our way, but my sense is that adults need to be really focused on the children's safety, partly because of the nature of our provision. Also, we are trying to persuade some staff to move away from too many adult directed activities!

We are very similar to you and do the same on sun cream. Our free flow works really well but especially when the outside is well planned and the staff don't focus on adult led activities so I would encourage you to go for that aspect. I think once everyone is used to the system your focus will be able to soften from the safety aspect as it will become as second nature as the safety inside. Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)