Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stay And Play Sessions

Hi im moving to nursery in september and was thinking of setting up 'stay and play' sessions, where parents would have the opportunity to stay and play with their child for approx half an hour. Im not sure how often we would do it any suggestions? I also thought it may be nice to run stay and read sessions and stay and sing, to try to encourage parents to read and sing with their children and pick up ideas from school. This would be voluntary, parents would not be expected to stay. Does anyone run anything similar who could share their experiences on how it worked??

Thanks xx

Hi im moving to nursery in september and was thinking of setting up 'stay and play' sessions, where parents would have the opportunity to stay and play with their child for approx half an hour. Im not sure how often we would do it any suggestions? I also thought it may be nice to run stay and read sessions and stay and sing, to try to encourage parents to read and sing with their children and pick up ideas from school. This would be voluntary, parents would not be expected to stay. Does anyone run anything similar who could share their experiences on how it worked??

Thanks xx

Hi Kat

I introduced stay and play sessions at my pre-school at easter and they have been very successful, parents who are thinking of joining the setting bring new children which is fabulous for settling in, and current parents come along and stay with their children which gives us an opportunity to share learning journeys and talk about their childrens interests etc feedback from teh sessions has been great and parents really didn't realise how much goes into a session.

We also have bring dad to school for a day, this has not been taken up so we need to work on this.

I love your idea of stay and sing and stay and read sessions which would be great as parent workshops, i think i might look at that in more detail with a view to trying it out, thank you.

Edited by Kizzul

We hold 'stay and chat' sessions so that Parents can chat for a bit longer than usual with their Key Person. They start by sitting with their child looking through their special file and then chat to the key person for a bit over a coffee. They are then welcome to stay and play for as long as they like. It works well for us, but you find what works for you.

Lots of parents take advantage of it, but there are a few who don't and are openly 'not interested' in what we do "As long as she's happy, and doing okay, that's the main thing"

Parents enjoy it, it gives them time sometimes just to talk to another interested adult about their child!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)