Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Total Free Flow

Hi there

I was wondering if someone would explain how their free flow works. If the children have complete free flow inside and out all day, how do you organise job times and ensure learning intentions are met to meet CLL, PSRN ....?

I really feel the way my school works at the moment is too formal. We have a set phonic job time each day - which is essential. We also have a focus CLL and PSRN time- TA and CT work with a group each for these times. The other children undertake independent jobs whilist adults are working with groups. In the afternoon, we run a highscope model of PDR. We then have one more job before going home.

Would love to know how others manage thier time.

Thanks XXX

Edited by Guest

Sorry I can't help - just to say I do the same. I have a set PRSN, Phonics and CLL time - linked in with the whole school - I also have some year 1s who join, so this has to be at a set time. I then have activities set up throughoutthe afternoon - but more often than not will also have a focussed activity that I try to get all the time to do (time allowing). In a slight panic now (the dreaded O may be on its way) that I'm doing it wrong - so am also interested in people's thoughts.

Emily

This time of year I do teacher directed for part of the morning for two groups, and at this time the other children undertake independent tasks that I have set up. When doing free flow in child initiated time, I don't think Ofsted would like it if you took children away from their sustained play! If they observe during child initiated, ensure the activities you have offered relate to learning intentions, then you can make observations of the children's learning and extend them. I did this during Ofsted last October and it was fine.

Hope I haven't rambled! and good luck with O!

Minxy

I do 3 short whole class carpet sessions per day. I then work with groups of children parallel to free flow (If child isn't working with me they can choose from adult initiated or initiate their own learning from CP)

I do 3 short whole class carpet sessions per day. I then work with groups of children parallel to free flow (If child isn't working with me they can choose from adult initiated or initiate their own learning from CP)

Do you have 1 phonics and 1 PSRN each day? And do you manage a storytime each day? And circle time? Just wondering if you manage to fit everything, as I know I feel I don't.

WOW Marion, you must be very busy! Would it possible for you post a copy of your weekly timetable?

Thanks everyone for your replies

xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)