Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Class Assembly

I'm hoping you brilliant guys will give me some inspiration as always!!!!! I am getting myself in a right old panic as I have my first class assembly(I'm an NQT) in 2 weeks with 26 reception children and not sure what to do. Our topic is mini beasts and I just cant decide how to put something together which involves the whole class. I have about 5 special needs children who will find the whole thing quite an ordeal too. My Ta is great so I asked her for a few ideas and she went away and has written a whole script which I really don't think the children will cope with but I don't want to upset her. We also have a school trip and summer fete which will take time out from practising! I have my fingers crossed that there is someone with a simple suggestion that will calm my nerves. Any ideas?????? :o

What an ordeal!!

Have the children painted /made min beasts?

If so could they not show these during their assembly.

Maybe you could voice over ie. we found........ talk about legs, habitats etc.

Do you know any rhymes/ songs re min beasts?

Or how about reading the very hungry caterpillar and have something as simple as children holding up a number to correspond with the amount of fruit caterpillar ate through.

I don't really agree with reception having pressure on like this so maybe make it as simple as possible.

and as short as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Have a look at mrsjonesroom.com - they have some songs with familiar tunes, we did the "I'm a catapillar wiggle like me" one in our assembly a couple of weeks ago. Hope yours goes well!

Edited by mac20

ah thanks you guys, some great ideas and in fact we made some minibeasts from model magic today so I am definately getting them to show them! We have also learnt 2 songs so far so I can include those too. They are quite excited about it which is a bit worrying to say the least as they just won't listen to what they need to do. We will have to start practising on Monday. What do you think about acting out the bad tempered ladybird?

Hi - how about re-telling the "caterpillar" book using painted pictures - children could say just a couple of words to depict each page ?

I did an assembly based around the story of 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' which we tied into healthy eating. I told the story, children held up the pictures of the different fruits and one boy was the caterpillar going along munching the fruits. Then he went behind the others to sleep off his tummy ache and came out with wings. The boy we chose thoroughly enjoyed munching his way through the fruits, and everyone enjoyed the assembly. Can't remember what else we did, but reading a story and having the children act it out usually works quite well - and means the children don't have to do too much speaking on their own.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)