Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Powerangers

Hi, i need some help!

I need to create some activities or set up something in my classroom to lure my afternoon boys... i would say that everyday, they role play powweangers for the whole session! Don't get me wrong, i do not have a probelm with this as their role play is fabulous, i am just concious that theyre not experiencing anything else in the classroom...

Has anyone got any bright ideas for incorporating the idea of super heroes into the rest of the areas?!

Thank you very much!

Tink! :D x

hello watching this one with interest as have the same 'problem' (not sure if that is the correct term). I did today invite all said boys to build a power rangers/ben 10/star wars/spiderman cave with me which involved lots of material, pegs, a glitter ball (for added interest). It went ok about 3 of them helped but as soon as the girls arrived with their shopping baskets, books and notepads the boys all lost interest and again carried on charging about. Still they were all having fun. Would love some more ideas if anyone can help.

hello watching this one with interest as have the same 'problem' (not sure if that is the correct term). I did today invite all said boys to build a power rangers/ben 10/star wars/spiderman cave with me which involved lots of material, pegs, a glitter ball (for added interest). It went ok about 3 of them helped but as soon as the girls arrived with their shopping baskets, books and notepads the boys all lost interest and again carried on charging about. Still they were all having fun. Would love some more ideas if anyone can help.

hi have similar situation, have found that outdoors plays a big part in our day, simple things like pencils with the superheroes on helped.

also inventing new superheroes, where the boys design their powers, what would their costume be like? what would they need for their powers etc.

another really good activity is to role play fire fighters. you would need laminated flames stuck on to an outdoor playhouse, long reel of hose, funnel, water container and a jug.also provide either walkie talkies or telephone, note pad and pens. this keeps all the children busy for ages.

also good is target practice using mud and sticks. i've found the bigger the better!!

Hope this helps

:o

OOOH I have just spemt a week of PR play in my group times

What did I do????

draw a PR and describe it. Children wrote and drew and I was able to see if knew difference between each skill. Small world play using the figures. Great for modelling narrative nad story telling, sequencing etc. Drew round children to be a PR and talked about what this Pr could look like. One had sopts, another strips and a 3rd a garden. Lots of pattern and size language, sharing tools and materials, nmaing colours, fine motor control and mark making. I was going to do holding fixed positions too. Aswell as this, my nursery nurse is turning ta role play area into a PR base in the garden to encourage role play and language and the children have been involved insetting this up. She has also had them taking phtos of the small world PRs doing different things around the Nursery to encourage verb work, ICT.

WOW! What alot of stuff. Will go and have a lie down now!!!!! Hope this is useful :o

thank you kate for that! i would just like to say i think we all are having that at the mo,and do you find its the ones going to big school??? looking forward to a quite september bless em!

Don't know if this is relevant, but I had loads of boys doing powerranger play, also obsessively making guns and shooting people, one boy is really into the army and the second world war - lots of great construction and role play, but as you say, limited in the range of areas / skills they were using. To help the gun play thing be more productive (and also more recognisable and acceptable to some onlooking adults) and to encourage writing and mark making, the children now have to fill in a 'superhero gadget license', drawing or writing about their gadget and the game they want to play with it. The boys don't seem to feel like they're being tricked into writing, which they sometimes do, but really recognise it as a valid part of their play. One boy, in particular, has done more riting than ever before - we've got lovely photos and a collection of licenses that we're all very proud of (him, me, TA, mum...)

Thanks for all your replies everyone - didnt get chance to log on yesterday or today... It is my N2s who are going up to Reception who seem to be 'charging' around the room and yes i do get guns from some of them which we discourage (what do other people do about guns?)

I love the idea of a superhero den but unfortunately i just dont have the space at the moment... i wonder if i could get hold of some of the figures... I think i might do a little bit of input with them as a group and get them talking to me about it so i understand it a bit more! And so they feel like i am interested and maybe ask them what they would like. They certainly get lots of mileage out of it! I am sure we can do something to make the range of experiences they have a bit bigger.

Tired now and dont have any brain cells that are awake enough to think of anytihng else to put! Will have to come back tomorrow during a break from reports!

Night all and thank you very much! (more ideas welcomed!!)

Tink! :D x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)