Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focused Activities

Hi,

I work in a school Nursery with 25 children - myself and a TA. Just wondering whether others who work in school nurseries plan activities that are offered to all the class or do you plan activities for just for individuals/small groups?

Does anyone know what the views of the big O are on this?

Thanks

Green Hippo xx

Guest Wolfie

I'm not sure what the big O's views are but we have two adult focus activities per day, one inside and one outside, which a key person has planned with the needs and interests of one or more of her key children in mind but which all children in the nursery can access. All keypersons (key people??) are encouraged to look at the planning for the adult focus activities each day and indicate if there are any of their own key children who they think would particularly benefit from being encouraged to participate.

I don't work in a school nursery but the experience I have had is that Ofsted like to see a planned focus activity offered that then becomes evaluated and used to inform next steps I guess in comparison to Wolfie's two a day ours appears minimal but spontaneous opportunities occur........we offer a weekly focussed activity that is flexible according to differntiation and childrens interest and use an area of learning each week so as to offer aspirational learning opportunities.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your replies. We currently plan one focused activity for each day (sometimes goes over 2 days depending on activity). The focused activities are often planned with a certain group of children in mind but are always offered to all children - differentiated by outcome/support/resources etc to ensure that all children have a learning experience (most children ask to participate in all activities). This is then evaluated and fed into planning.

I'm just interested in the way other's work and wondering whether we should plan more activities but just for small groups/individuals that they are aimed at? Wouldn't want to discourage other children from joining in if they wanted to though?

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks

Green Hippo xx

hi

it is about (i feel) planning for idividual children but making the activity abvailable to all on all levels so as not to exclude

it is challenging but not impossile mostly tho we do not have a focused activity (i actually hate them) and we are completly led by the children and we support and scaffold their intersts by supply props and resources to extend their learning

we find the children learn the most nad the best this way and they are so curious that their interests lead us down many paths

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)