Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ba (hons) Early Childhood Studies Recommended Books

Guest lucyevans

Guest lucyevans

Hi everyone,

I am to start the final year of a BA(Hons) Early Childhood Studies in September (I'm topping up from the OU Foundation Degree. Can anyone recommend books I could buy that would be helpful for the course?

Also how many books/journals etc. should I be looking to review in my Literature Review.

Many thanks,

Lucy

Hi everyone,

I am to start the final year of a BA(Hons) Early Childhood Studies in September (I'm topping up from the OU Foundation Degree. Can anyone recommend books I could buy that would be helpful for the course?

Also how many books/journals etc. should I be looking to review in my Literature Review.

Many thanks,

Lucy

hi Lucy,

i'm in the same situation as you, just completed foundation degree, and starting BA in Sept.

so can't help with your question, just wanted to say good luck... perhaps we could help each other along :o

Hi Lucy,

Congrats on continuing your studies! I have found that the best bet has been the recommended reading from the uni itself. I advise against going too mad buying loads as it depends on what your assignments and final diss will be on.

However, I found contemporary issues in the early Years by Pugh and Duffy was one i borrowed often from the library. Make friends with the librarians as they will be very helpful.

Dont panic about the lit review and all that quite yet, you will get loads of help from the uni too on that.

Enjoy it if you can- remember that your peers will all be facing the same fears as you and you will all supprt each other.

have fun!

:o

Hi and good luck both - this will be a very exdciting time I'm sure!

I also agree that "Contemporary Issues" has been a book that I have dipped in and out of a lot.

I also find Janet Moyles "The Excellence of Play" a godsend too.

But I have to strongly echo that you wait and see what books are recommended as I have learnt a little to my cost (literally!)

At first I bought a few that with hindsight, were unnecessary buys - difficult to read and useful for only one particular area.

I would probably suggest that when you get your reading list, post again and that people can advise about specific books as to how beneficial and more importantly how readable they are :o

Edited by pickle

Oops - have to apologise for the spelling mistakes on my last post :o

Sad to say I edited 3 times and now spotted yet another that I'd missed!

My excuse ....? It's been a very long day with the in-laws xD

it might also be worth checking if the uni has a second hand book place there may be some former third year students who are getting rid of their books

I must admit I bought the contempary issues book too and quoted it quite a bit my brains gone blank on other books I bought

I aggree ... wait before buying any books, also in your third year they want to see more journal references than text books

theres always the TES(also available online) its not as hard going as the journals and it might give you some insight into issues to consider for your dissertation

I've just completed my BA Hons top up and I agree with the others who suggest you wait until you see the reading lists as each lecturer has their own favourites. With the new EYFS in place there are updated editions coming out all the time. However, one I found useful because it refers to new legislation was 'Early Years Foundations. Meeting the Challenge' edited by Janet Moyles published in 2007. It is divided into the four sections of the EYFS and is a good starting point on many different aspects. We were also advised to read, 'A Good Childhood' by Richard Layard and Judy Dunn, 2009.

Most books needed can be found in the library and some can be found in abridged versions of googlebooks. Amazon and play.com have a good used books section which can be cheaper than some sites.

Good Luck :o

Your library should have online Journals for you to download for free as well. I think a mix of literature is preferred and I would recommend thinking about it now, I left mine until quite last minute as I didnt like the style my tutor wanted me to write it in, I couldn't get my head around it. Although I passed and had unbelieveable support and input from here (of course) I am disappointed that my mark for this project was 15% lower than the previous year. I think if you feel like you want to do something now then getting hold of books through the library on the topic you are interested in, that way you will know what is available

Guest lucyevans
hi Lucy,

i'm in the same situation as you, just completed foundation degree, and starting BA in Sept.

so can't help with your question, just wanted to say good luck... perhaps we could help each other along :o

Yes, that would be good. Congrats on completing the FD :-)

Thanks for your suggestions of waiting before buying new books, I will hold on for a while. I already had Contemporary Issues in the Early Years (not read it though!) and The Excellence of Play (one of my favourites), so that's a start. Writing a 10,000 word dissertation does seem VERY daunting at the moment..!

Thanks everyone,

Lucy

Edited by lucyevans

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)