Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Collecting Child From School

I'm in the middle of updating and ammending policies and procedures etc and was wondering what I should be doing regarding the procedure for collecting a child from school. At present we ask parents to let us know in advance if someone else is picking their child up. This is done either verbally in the morning or by a phone call to school. This is fine, but there have been one or two times when another parent says, 'Oh .....'s mum has called and asked me to pick him up as she's running late' etc, or something similar. In this instance, we have not had notification from the parent. I thought it would be better to have a password system in place, which would help with these situations. Does anyone else use this procedure and does anyone have a form or letter to parents that they would like to share???

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

we ask that parents to list who can collect their child in their absence, a few weeks ago a parent was in a car accident and couldnt contact us but one of the parents collected the child on their behalf so the children where not left waiting

We too have a list of people authorised by the parent to collect. We still insist though that the parent tells us they (parent) are not collecting, even if its one of the people on the list; how do we know they haven't had a falling out?? We also do ask for a password. Sometimes a parent is running late and will give authority over the phone for someone else to collect the child; if this person is not known to us then we ask for ID too (and a password).

If a parent has not notified us that someone other than themselves is collecting then we don't let the child go, even if they are on the authorised to collect list, until we have contacted the parent for authority; as I said we dont know if they are still friends etc!!!

We do similar to janny1960, but if a person on the 'can collect' list arrives we do allow them to go. In our Collections Policy it states it is the parents responsibility to inform us, in writing, if the 'can collect' list changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)