Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict Wish List For Reception And Nursery Classes

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone has a package they use in their Reception/Nursery classes that is good. I have been offered some funds to install Visualiser, Smartboard or Interactive Whiteboard in the classes. I have never worked with any of this equipment, so need some advice as to what is the best thing/things to get?

I have a precious opportunity and want to make a wise investment.

I'm grateful for any feedback/experiences/advice you can give.

Thanks in advance

Crackers x

Smartboards are good.

Visualiser is on my ICT wishlist but I dont think you could use it very easily without a large screen to project the image onto?

Whats the difference between a smartboard and an interactive whiteboard, arent they the same?

Couldn't live without my Samrtboard now. I use it every day for the children to self register in the mornings and after dinner (they put a dot next to their photos). It's great for demonstrating the computer programmes that they will use on the class computers and I love the Smartboard Notebook software; the interactive dice that spin when the children tap them, the timer when they tidy up and the slider to cover up numbers and letters that they have to guess as they are being revealed, to name but a few features.

The visualiser is less practical unless it is out all the time to use at a moments notice. Too much hassle setting it up.

HelenP

Thank you so much all of you, I've learned alot already, I thought Smartboards were something else completely!

:o

Promethean and Smartboards are both interactive whiteboards. They are very similiar except you and your children can use your finger and/or pens to make marks and control programs on the Smartboard but you use a stylus to control the Promethean.

I have used both in an Early Years setting and would suggest the Smartboard is more user friendly for this age group.

We have smartboards throughout the school - and although it took a bit of getting used to, I use mine all the time now. The children can use it and even the most reluctant writers enjoy 'writing' their names with the fancy pen (just use normal pen or finger, but they select a rainbow effect, or smily faces or stars to name but a few). Also loads of good games to download to use in literacy and numeracy lessons - ICT games to name one site. Children love using these. You can also input pics from clip art quite easily, then type up a sentence, hide the picture but leave sentence visible - child who can read the sentence gets to pull down the screen and reveal the picture to see if they're right.

Can you use a Smartboard as a 'screen' for a visualiser?

Also does the Smartboard run off of a PC? So in theory you can still 'google' stuff and show it to the class, or is it just to use programs?

Sorry I'm very "unICTish"

Having read up on visualisers it seems you can connect the visualiser to the computer that then will show what ever is being 'visualised' as it were. So in answer to your other question, interactive whiteboards of any type run of a PC so what ever you can do on a PC can be shown on the whiteboard and used. Hope that helps :)

Smartboards run off your PC or laptop.

Not certain but think you can use it with the visualiser

I decided on Smartboards rather than Promethean because you can use them with a finger or pen and also because they could be sited much lower than the Promethean so my children could reach without a box or a wand.

Ooooo yeah I assumed they could both be installed pretty low down ... thanks for the advice.

This is such a useful forum!

My visualiser is attached to my smartboard - not used greatly - I must admit! although good for enlarging books or more recently minibeasts! Smartboards are dead easy to use, although my adivce would be to consider carefully where you place it - mine was put next to a window and we have to shut the blinds constantly to see it. I thought I would just list the rest of the ICT stuff we have if you have any money left over to spare!! These are the things that my class use most:

Storyphones (they haven't put them down since they arrived!)

Metal detectors

Beebots and a range of mats - the money and alphabet ones have been particulary popular

Constructabots - with the mat that beeps and flashes

Remote control bugs that hold a pen so you can draw with them

Remote control cars

Talk time cards (A5 and A4)

Talk time book - fantastic resource - reccomend it to everyone

Digi Blue movie camera

Fisher price camera

and the usual stuff - karoke machine, microwave, till etc

I would highly reccomend the 2 simple software too - they have some amazing programs that my children love

Enjoy your new board - which ever you buy

Nicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)