Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Boards

I am starting a Rec/Y1 job in September and need to sort out the classroom. I was wondering what other people do about children's planning and how many go into each area. I have seen 'planning boards' used in other schools, where children have to put their name up by the area they want to play in and each area has a set number of children. I used to do a similar thing when I taught Reception before. However, I am not sure about doing this now with EYFS, as I am concerned that this inhibits truly child initiated play and limits children's spontaneity. But if you don't do this then you can end up with 10 children in the home corner etc. What do other people thin about this and what works in your settings???

Guest LornaW

I certainly wouldn't restrict how many in each area. By all means have a planning board with pictures to help children visualise where they are planning to go but I agree that by restricting the numbers it is not truly child intitiated. If you do get 10 in the role play or wanting to play in a small sandpit then this is an excellent opportunity for problem solving. I remember once having a new trampoline and everyone chose to do this activitiy and many children were complaining becasue they were not gettting a turn one little girl turned to me and said'Would it help if we used the yellow sand timer?' Brilliant idea dna from then on there were no complaints! Reminds me of the cricket club I belong to players wanting to play pool have to put their money on the table and wiat their turn for a game!!! Life as we know it I think! and so much better if it comes from the children.

Hi, I don't restrict numbers in each area also. I use a planning board with all the areas on it and beside it there is a long piece of velcro where the children come and attach their names when they choose to go to that area. The velcro can prob hold up to 10/12 names. I find that the children regulate themselves. They don't like it when there are too many in an area and so they will come out of their own accord and find somewhere else to go. I was very wary at first taking off my number restrictions (as I have very limited space) but it works a treat!

It depends on space, really. My little boy's teacher (mixed R/Y1/Y2 class) has to limit numbers as her room is too small.

He still talks about the planning boards wistfully now he is in Y1 :o

This is a real issue for teachers working with mixed FS/KS1 classes - the DCSF are going to have to address this one. I don't see how you can teach EYFS alongside National Curriculum effectively, the two are in essence so different.

Good luck with your new job.

Thanks for replies. I like the idea of the long piece of velcro, plus you are right about creating good opps for problem solving! Think I woll give this a go!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)