Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities For Interview

HELP

I have a job interview coming up at a local schools pre school, I have been asked to plan then teach and evaluate a PSED activity to 6 children who are aged 3+ of mixed abilties. The school is in an under Privileged area so alot of them are behind in the development.

I am really panicing about it cause I really want to impress them and do something different as i think alot of people will do simple things like drawing pictures of your family and talking about feelings ect.

Any ideas would really help

( Thank you to those who have already helped me and given me ideas)

Emma

• 1 year later...

I too have an interview and have to plan a session , no longer than 15 minutes, for a group of 7 F1 children, aiming at developing their PSE skill and covering the 22-36mths/ 30-50 mths and some aspects of the 40-60+ mths ages and stages of dev. Help! I have never taught FS1 only FS2 [a few years a go], reception and KS1. The post is for a FS or KS1 teacher. I`m well out of my comfort zone and struggling for ideas. Please help!!!

Hi there

I would suggest keeping it very informal and exploratory (could be adapted for any age group). Puppets are a great resource for this area of the curriculum, and books about emotions. I have a great story I use called 'When Marvin gets mad' which is great for talking about anger, although we dont really talk about it an awful lot, we just have great fun making angry faces, and talking about what our faces look like when we get mad/what does a sad face look like etc. Mirrors to study faces, asking them what makes them mad, happy, sad etc, using the puppets to create scenarios, e.g. when someone wont let you play.

Sorry, rambling a bit now, but overall I would suggest emotions as a main theme, and then think of some activities around it.

Hope this helps

G.

Guest lou73

Could you find some photos of different faces showing different emotions i.e. smiling, crying, laughing, cross etc and then pull them out of a bag and maybe talk about them, get children to make the face into a mirror and talk about what makes them feel like this.

Just had a thought......

what about then using the song 'if your happy and you know it clap your hands' you could then maybe change the verses to accomodated the emotions already talked about i.e. 'if your cross and you feel it stamp your feet' and 'if your laughing and you like it hold your sides', 'if your crying and your sad, find a hug'. The children would all probably join in and enjoy it and this would round your activitiy up nicely especially if you got them up and moving and making the correct face.

Alternatively have a look in social and emotional aspects of learning. I tend to find the activities in there good for idea, which then needs a bit of reworking.

Hope that helps :o

I'm always singing my own version of if You're happy and you know it with my nursery children - if you're grumpy ....say huff (fold arms), sad....have a cry (loud boohoohoo), shy......hide away (cover face), happy...say haha etc. the kids absolutely love it - especially if you make your voice reflect the emotion whilst singing - the sad and you know it really has to be seen to be believed - perfect excuse for me to become a drama queen! Definitely bring mirrors for children to look at their faces if you want to talk about looking/feeling an emotion, then children can practice their faces.

The singing/action song idea sounds really good. Especially if the children are not meeting their chronological age re:development matters be careful not to overestimate how long they can sit still/ concentrate for so something with an action element or involving a prop such as little mirrors might help them to keep focus (or be a useful thing to move on to if they get restless) x

You could try what I did for my interview last year. I made playdough with the 7 children of differing abilities. It can cover many areas of PSED and had the children completely captivated for almost half an hour. (I was told afterwards that they had never seen one of the children sit for so long at one activity)

It must have made a good impression as I got the job!

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)