Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Planning

hello, we have just changed our planning from a daily focus group activityfor all the children to individual planning for each of our key children ( i am in the baby room 0-2) i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i could do as it can't be things we have out as routine such as paints, playdough, water etc it has to be something "out of the box", i am still doing my nvq2 so need all the help i can get! xD:o

Welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post, gaynorellen :o

I think you need to approach this by looking at the child's level of development, and deciding what his/her next steps might be, ie the skills that might come next. Then and only then, can you start to think about activities and experiences that you could provide which will help to develop those skills. xD The development matters column in the EYFS and the look, listen and note column will give you the info you need about the development side, and the the effective practice and resources columns will guide you in the second bit :(

I think the secret is to take an aspect from each of the six areas of learning at a time, eg Making Relationships for PSED, Language for Communication for CLL, etc. That way, the huge EYFS will seem much more manageable, and you'll get to know it really well.

I agree that activities and experiences offered should be based around a child's interests and developmental needs but I still feel that certain activities usually have an appeal to this age range - for example, transporting, emptying and filling, getting messy etc.

I have had a particularly successful - although lots of mess and tidying to do - time with a tuff spot filled with lentils, black beans and yellow split peas and a variety of tubes and containers. This was in response to one child enjoying scattering things and another emptying and filling containers.

Also a tray of jars and pots with a selction of things to fill them - coins, keys, buttons, corks etc

I often find that if I have a plan for an individual child lots of the others will join in and take it in their own direction. For example one child was fascinated with my keys, always wanting to push them in the door. I went to my local hardware store and was given a big box of wrongly cut keys, all shapes and sizes and then I bought a little lockable box with a key. The child for whom the activity was planned spent hours testing out different keys in the lock, another moved them from container to container, another threaded them on to a lace and a younger child enjoyed jangling them to make sounds

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)