Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Favourite Authors

I love all the books by Jill Murphy - I believe she does all her own illustrations.The stories are simple but can always be related to real experiences.

My class at the moment are enjoying stories by Julia Donaldson. Her stories are all written in rhyme, but again, fantastic illustrations.

I love Shirley Hughes & Eric Carle, because I find their illustrations endlessly fascinating, and their stories are enjoyed very much by the children. I have a video of some of Eric Carle's stories, too. We had a great discussion today about how The Mixed Up Chameleon differs in the book and on video, good ICT coverage!!

There are loads of others I love too, but it seems selfish to list too many, I'm sure lots of other people will want to add their favourites!

Dianne

I agree, Jill Murphy is a definate and Mick Inkpen is great too!

We also like Colin McNaughton - the Preston Pig stories amuse us day in, day out. :o

Hi

Too tired too think with a whole school's arts day tomorrow. But how about Michael Rosen - Going on a bear hunt, tons of poetry and our favourite Little Rabbit Foo Foo!!! Also tonnes of books by Martin Waddell and my mind has really gone blank the author (s) of Too Much (Helen Oxenberry illustrates) and The Hullabaloo. This is going too drive me nuts until I get too school tomorrow and check the books!!!!!!!!

Lisa E

I definately have to add to the Julia Donaldson fan club, both me and my class love her books, in fact I've just ordered the new book 'The Gruffalo's Child' and its due here by Friday!

My class have also quite enjoyed the Lauren Child books (I will not absolutely never ever eat a tomato and Absolutely too small for school).

Other favourites are like others have said, Eric Carle, Colin McNaughton, Mick Inkpen and the like.

Well, in addition to just about all the names previously mentioned, how about Kim Lewis, lovely stories, often related to feelings with some quite beautiful illustrations. Philippe Dupasquier is good, too, often with extremely little in the way of text, but FANTASTIC illustrations which clearly show the story unfolding as well as a wealth of incidentals to encourage lots of talk - a particular favourite of mine is 'Dear Daddy'

Sue :D

Hello again

Just had to say yes to Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler. The Gruffalo is fantastic - you can also get The Gruffalo as a song (not sure if it was a special edition or is still available but its a brilliant song, also love The Smartest Giant in Town, A Push and a Squeeze, Room on the Broom, The Gruffalos child but not so keen on the Snail and the Whale.

Also wanted to mention the Meg and Mog stories, I recently showed my reception class a few stories on video (as a treat) and they were absolutely spellbound!!! These children often talk about watching action films intended for adults (The Hulk, Spiderman etc) (Not one of my favourite autors but I hate using videos which are long- Disney etc, much prefer short stories or Fourways Farm type) I have to say I was absolutely amazed as the stories are very short (approx 3 minutes) and the animation is faithful to the books. I decided to read a Meg and Mog story which they had seen on the video and they there response was amazing. They were able to discuss how the felt about the differences between the book and the video e.g. the frquent use of speech bubbles which they found fascinating in the book and link this very clealy to the dialogue in the video. They loved the fact that Meg and Mog were stories written by an author (big on book language!), illustrated and that the video characters looked and behaved exactly as the book characters did. Brilliant.

Lisa E

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)