Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Needed On P2 Question

Hi, How come some people have two years to finish the nvq and others only 33 weeks,i thought it was a years course for everybody.Although our tutor told us that city and guilds now will give us a cert for every three units we complete.

Anyway need help on question 18 on p2 knowledge and understandings.

It reads variations in family values across cultural and other groupings and awaress that practices also vary within such groups and how to estabish relationships with all parents.

Not sure what they want ,still getting use to the way the phrase they questions?Can everyone help have to hand them in on wednesday.

Thanks Cathy :)

Cathy,

Think about the different sorts of families we have in our society nowadays. Single parents, divorced parents, homosexual couples, several generations living under one roof, nomadic families. Even two sets of 'traditional' families will have differing views and customs due to different religions or because they are from different cultural/racial backgrounds. It's really important to get as much information from the parents and work in partnership with them, whilst accepting and celebrating our differences. :) Hope this gets you going again - I know what it's like to sit staring at a question wondering what on earth they are asking for. :D

As to how long it takes to finish - different training providers have different ways of working. I don't know how it works anywhere else but here the council offer free training. They have so much money they allocate for training each year and you have to apply to them for it. All the training providers inform the council how much they are charging for each candidate and the council then allocates a certain number of candidates to each provider based on this. Many of them are pushing candidates through in a year and charging the council a lesser amount (and therefore picking up more candidates). However, there is a real worry that these candidates are not actually meeting the requirements of the standards. :o We have had two training providers who have lost their training status in recent years for this very reason.

As Carol says, it varies!!

The original intention was that candidates work through it at their own pace - 2 years was considered a 'norm', but allowances were made for people with legitimate reasons for needing more time, and others, with lots of experience were allowed to complete sooner. I did it in ten months.

Just a tip, try not to think of these as 'questions', more as statements you have to show you understand, along with the effect on your practice.

Sue :D

Sorry Sue! I certainly didn't mean to make it sound like anyone who completed in less time is therefore less competent. xD There does seem to be an awful lot of training providers who are actually pushing candidates through more quickly than they should though. This may suit some people but I think it is awful pressure for others. :o

Thanks,i don't know what i do without all your help.You are right there are statements not questions,but had sat staring at the same one for ages and just couldn't get my head round it.

We have been told we should have 3 units finished by christmas i don't think i will be able to get them all signed off by then.

My assessor gave me back my observation sheet today for E3 and i didn't realise alot of the elements cross reference with C2,so have got more done then i thought.

So going to feel my eels out tonight as i have to hand in E3 tomorrow,i think i understand them.

One of the girls on the course with me said she couldn't be asssessed with parents so her assessor went to her house to see her with the children's parents she childminds for but they are all older, i thought it had to be under eights?

I better get on with the questions thanks again for your help.

Cathy :)

Hey, Cathy!!

All the units will cross-refer to each other!! As you get further into it, you will find yourself doing lots more cross-referencing - if you don't, you are making too much work for yourself!! You can also use your Assessor's previous obs to cross-refer too, if you notice anything appropriate. If you don't, you'll probably find your Assessor does, I always do!

Don't forget the NVQ Guidance in the Members section :o

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)