Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Donald Rumsfeld's Syndrome

HappyMaz

I was singing along in the car the other day (much to MrsWeasley's chagrin) to Stealers Wheel singing "stuck in the middle" which I bought as a 45 back in the day. During the DJ's back announcement he said "there was Gerry Rafferty and Stealers Wheel". Well. I never knew Gerry Rafferty was in Stealers Wheel! :o In fact I wasn't even sure I'd heard him correctly so I checked on Wikipedia.

Of course now I listen again I can hear Gerry Rafferty's vocal and I can't understand how I didn't notice this before.

So what are the surprising things you found out about that made you say "well I never knew that" but which you really ought to have known?

I could have saved this for my next milestone post but I'll have forgotten it by then!

Maz

PS If you're puzzled by the Donald Rumsfeld reference or would like to read more of his quotes, click here for a good selection. xD

Edited by HappyMaz

'Decimated'......

Not a normal part of my day-to-day vocab but I do use it occasionally in the context of something totally ruined

but

That's not what it means at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimated

it means to reduce by a tenth (actually I should have spotted that....) and is attributable to the Romans... again no surprise....

and was used to punish mutinous or cowardly soldiers....

So I've been using the word completely wrongly all these years and never knew!

:o

By the way, my favourite Donald Rumsfeld quote from your selection?

"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly."

Actually I'm not convinced by the 'clever' bit.......

Edited by Guest

By the way, my favourite Donald Rumsfeld quote from your selection?

"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly."

It could be the motto I could aspire to live my life by, LJW! :o

Going back to the song Stuck in the middle with you, did you know, that Scottish comedian/actor BILLY CONNOLLY was the inspiration behind the song STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU, written by GERRY RAFFERTY, a former bandmate of his.

Rafferty went on to write Stuck In The Middle With You, about his relationship with Connolly, for STEALERS WHEEL. Connolly says, "I was the joker and he was stuck in the middle with me."

[/font]

Angie