Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Plan Weekly For Topics?

For anyone who still uses topics to help plan - Could you help me??

Once you have decided on your topic and maybe written ideas under the 6 areas of learning....

How do you transfer those ideas on to weekly plans?

Do you just do one focus activity a week or one a day?

Or can you just tell me the process you follow?

Thanks in advance xx

For anyone who still uses topics to help plan - Could you help me??

Once you have decided on your topic and maybe written ideas under the 6 areas of learning....

How do you transfer those ideas on to weekly plans?

Do you just do one focus activity a week or one a day?

Or can you just tell me the process you follow?

Thanks in advance xx

Forgot to say at the moment we break our topics down for example a topic on transport

would be.....

Week 1- Cars

Week 2- Planes etc....

Is this how you do it??

Is there a better way??

HI Bubbles00

we changed this year into 3 larger topics names which hopefully covered most things. We've had Me and My favourite things, Living things and All around. We have talked to the children about what they would like to find out about so my favourite things they wanted to listen to their fav music, colours, toys, films and TV.

Living things (although not living now !!) dinosuars, big cats, they wanted to grow a beanstalk and this term or example they wanted to find out about castles, policemen, how to make a map, how do people go into space and what it feels like, and because our school is working on local community side we talked about where we live and they want to go to our marina we have in the village and salt pool (mini man made beach and build sandcastles) oh and how do poeple live in igloos!!

We have tried to roughly map out for the half term/term just to put some dates in and try to get in a visit or someone in or so we know to get resources. If children though are enjoying themselves and wanting to still carry on with what they are doing we will not just stop say castles. We have to write termly newsletters to let parents know what we are going to be doing etc so we try and link this in for the parents to let us know what the children want to find out about and also for them to develop interests at home i.e. some of the children went to the natural history museum in london with their parents in the last holiday and they can bring things in that interest them.

It has worked well and thanks to everyone on here got quite a lot of ideas. Not sure brave enough to go completely topic free.

That sounds great...how do you document it all?

Have you got a copy of your weekly plans to put up on here?

We have decided topics are far to useful to get rid of and some children really benefit

from a bit of adult led learning!! xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)