Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem Solving

Hi all,

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend of rest. can anyone help please, I am covering animals this half term on a very wide scale!!!! Does anyone have any problem solving activities for either whole class or small groups. thanks all :o

We have a small outside area with a few lowish trees. In order to stimulate some problem-solving with my 2-4 year olds I put a toy cat up the tree for them to discover when they went outside....

After some initial scaffolding and prompting the children began to devise ways to get the 'stuck cat' down..... they started fairly unimaginatively but then started to use tools and equipment including stilts, sticks, threw balls etc. We have some lovely photos but unfortunately I can't upload them as the children are very visible!

I have also read on this site about putting some pebbles either side of a tuff spot and water in the bottom. Use small world figures or animals and ask the children to work out how to get the animal across the water to the other side..... you could provide a few helpful things or just let them problem-solve for themselves.....

We have a small outside area with a few lowish trees. In order to stimulate some problem-solving with my 2-4 year olds I put a toy cat up the tree for them to discover when they went outside....

After some initial scaffolding and prompting the children began to devise ways to get the 'stuck cat' down..... they started fairly unimaginatively but then started to use tools and equipment including stilts, sticks, threw balls etc. We have some lovely photos but unfortunately I can't upload them as the children are very visible!

I have also read on this site about putting some pebbles either side of a tuff spot and water in the bottom. Use small world figures or animals and ask the children to work out how to get the animal across the water to the other side..... you could provide a few helpful things or just let them problem-solve for themselves.....

Thanks a lot LJW, these sound good, willtry them out :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)