Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Basic Skills

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

On a Friday afternoon we run a session called Friday fun where we mix Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 into mixed groups and they rotate around the three classes (over the course of three weeks).

These sessions are as practical as possible and have a basic skills focus. So far we have covered scissor skills, folding skills inc folding and tearing and concertina folds and using a ruler to draw lines, measure and fold/ score.

My mind had gone blank and I can't think of any other skills that could be taught to Reception/ Year 1 and Year 2. Any ideas?

What about experimenting with colour mixing - finding out how different colours are made - the reception children may be able to teach the year 2's!

Sewing skills - starting with threading boards, then children making a shape on card and making holes around the edge and sewing in and out and so on leading into using the aida fabric and maybe beyond.

Hi,

Could you have an ICT focus where you teach the children how to save work on the computer?

We have lots of very confident children who can change program quickly (especially when not asked to) but they often find it difficult to save their own work. Sorry can't think of anything else at the moment but will post again if I do

Nicky Sussex

Weaving, definitely - covers lots of learning styles too. We have used those draining mats that you put in the bottom of the sink... pound shop type stuff.... fantastic and compulsive for more than a few children!! Tescos sell them too, next to the washing up bowls!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)