Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Centre/nursery Job Interviews

Only joined the FSF this evening, and very glad I did. Am hoping to get some adivce! :o I have taught in Reception for 4 years and have applied for several Nursery teaching positions. I have 2 interviews next week, one of which is in a Children's Centre. Very nervous because I am convinced that I am not going to know all the stuff I should know to do the job. xD Can anyone help me? If you can give me a list of essential documents I should read before going for the interviews that would be great. :(

Also, what tips can you give me for an activity with the children - was thinking of a hands on 'Going On A Bear Hunt' activity, with coloured fabrics, instruments, and leaves, grass, etc etc. Sound okay?

Please help!

Bear hunt activity sounds brilliant - very sensory, I did similar with children aged 15mths-3 and it was very successful. We had green tissue paper and crepe - long lengths on a stick - to swish over them, a tuff spot full of mud (we did it all outside), a tray of ice and glitter snowflakes, stepping stone logs and sticks and of course a cave with a bear in. We had a bed made up on the floor inside to run back inside to and the children developed it into the 10 in a bed song.

not sure about essential documents - maybe the EPPE research but I'm sure if you know your way around the EYFS that will be good. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about children's centres - there may be something specific around that?

Guest budgie1

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find loads of helpful stuff on here (I do!) but I must warn you it is addictive!!!!,

Is the job for a children's centre teacher? or a nursery teacher working in the children's centre? I think the jobs are quite different. The childrens centre teacher will need to be working with multi agencies, vulnerable families, working with parents, planning for drop in groups and stay and play sessions etc. In my experience children's centre teacher jobs vary enormously from area to area. Having an understanding of the Every Child matters document and the local children centre agenda will be useful. (you can probably find out the children centre agenda on the Local Authority website.) Also talk about the experience you have gained working with parents and other agencies. Getting parental involvement is a priority for most Local Authorities at the moment so try to talk about what you do or would like to do.

Good luck and keep us posted :o

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find loads of helpful stuff on here (I do!) but I must warn you it is addictive!!!!,

Is the job for a children's centre teacher? or a nursery teacher working in the children's centre? I think the jobs are quite different. The childrens centre teacher will need to be working with multi agencies, vulnerable families, working with parents, planning for drop in groups and stay and play sessions etc. In my experience children's centre teacher jobs vary enormously from area to area. Having an understanding of the Every Child matters document and the local children centre agenda will be useful. (you can probably find out the children centre agenda on the Local Authority website.) Also talk about the experience you have gained working with parents and other agencies. Getting parental involvement is a priority for most Local Authorities at the moment so try to talk about what you do or would like to do.

Good luck and keep us posted :o

Thanks for that - really helpful. It was advertised as a nursery teacher position in the children's centre, not a children's centre teacher, but it may be as well to keep the topics you mentioned in mind in case I get caught out with questions!! Will keep you posted! This is already becoming addictive - now I have this AND facebook . . . not good!

Bear hunt activity sounds brilliant - very sensory, I did similar with children aged 15mths-3 and it was very successful. We had green tissue paper and crepe - long lengths on a stick - to swish over them, a tuff spot full of mud (we did it all outside), a tray of ice and glitter snowflakes, stepping stone logs and sticks and of course a cave with a bear in. We had a bed made up on the floor inside to run back inside to and the children developed it into the 10 in a bed song.

not sure about essential documents - maybe the EPPE research but I'm sure if you know your way around the EYFS that will be good. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about children's centres - there may be something specific around that?

some good ideas there to add to my own. thank you! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)