Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Progression Of Writing Skills Across Fs And Ks1

We are yet again looking at writing attainment and we need to raise standards.

Children are not scoring high enough at the end of each key stage and we are thinking that we are going to have to be much more prescriptive in our delivery, even in FS. So rather than have something imposed upon me I am trying to determine what others do that is successful. Do you use a writing scheme to deliver against and thereby allocate certain skills to appropriate year groups?

We are also looking at abandoning continuous cursive handwriting as I do not think it is automatic enough for the children. The Junior school to which we feed does not do this and we will be consulting with them. Does Penpals have a recognised style or it it fairly generic, that would fit with whatever the Junior school does? How easily do the children cope and when does the writing process become automatic to concentrate on the what to write rather than the how?

I realise some of these questions are a bit like how long piece of string but would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Have you had training on talk for writing about VCOP? Im sure your FS already do this but it is all about developing talk for writing in various ways. At our setting we also do write dance in FS and KS1 esp y1 for those who dont have the fine motor control. Daily in my reception class we do a moving sentence so everyone one knows how to write a sentence without putting pencil to paper. We don't do whole class literacy its like group work throughout FS/KS1 so every one learns at their own pace so the less able are a target and we can also push HA/GT on. Do you use self and peer assessment so the children can identify where they are going wrong? WE use two stars and a wish even in handwriting so children can pick out their best handwriting and repeat that. It goes as far as stopping them in literacy peer assessing with another child and making sure all writing is quality writing. Additionally there is handwriting sessions but the emphasise is on letter formation in phonics too. Ive talked about alot of points these are just some of the things we do. In Y1 our school says all children should be able to write a sentence using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. I think they got this from some age related target.

That sounds really interesting marion but i cant see how to download it.

Which of the Roz Wilson books would suite our needs best?

Trouble is our LEA is moderating SATs with APP and our children are going to come out really low against that so we must raise standards not alter our expectations.

Sam those are all thoughts in progress and I firmly believe we must raise the handwriting to raise the writing and inprove our reading but unfortunately although I am literacy coord, my assessment coord does not agree and wants something very structured.

Ros is in the process of publishing a new book aimed at younger children which might be worth waiting for at the moment I find the Gold book the best but not perfect for early years. Her company is also running training called Big Learning for Little People which looks really interesting. I've organised a day for my and other schools with a Big Writing consultant in September.Alistaire has promised me lots of strategies that work and things for Boys Boys Boys to get them writing plus lots more.

To download you need to register with the site (free) then it's just a matter of clicking on the link. The new version has been crossed referenced with APP so is worth using rather than the versions on LA websites.

Susan I teach the children to recite the formation as they learn the letters and I've seen an improvement in their handwriting this year.

Curly caterpillar family

Anticlockwise movements

c round

o round, round and join

a round, up, down and flick

d round, up, up, down, down and flick

g round, up, down, down and round

q round, up, down, down and tick

s round and round the other way

f round, down, down and round – across

e across and round

one armed robot family

down, up and over movements

r down, up and over a bit

n down, up, over, down and flick

m down, up, over and down, up, over, down and flick

h down, down, up a bit, over, down and flick

b down, down, up a bit, over and round

p down, down, up, up, over and round

k down, down, up a bit, over, round, out and flick

long ladder family

mainly down and round movements

l down, down and flick

i down and flick – dot

t down and flick – across

j down, down and round – dot

u down, round, up, down and flick

y down, round, up, down, down and round

zig zag monster

diagonal movements

v down, up

w down, up, down, up

x down, stop – down, stop

z across, down, across

I've also given my children who want one a writing jotter (lined exercise book ) to write whenever they want oddly enough it has been mainly boys in my class and all are writing sentences independently from choice not as an adult focused activity.

I've just taken over as Literacy coordonator and we have introduced the same letter formation patter in all classes from Nursery (for those interested ) to Y4.

This is a piece of independent writing from one of my boys (CIL)

img331.bmp

Ive got Talk for writing training, with Pie Corbett, too but 3 July in London.

The Roz Wilson checklist was very useful today Marion and my plans/ ideas seem to have been taken on board so fingers crossed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)