Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Essay Writing

Guest susanp

I have just started on a BA degree course with Dundee University on Early Childhood Studies. As I am one of the oldies who qualified many years ago (20 to be exact) I have to claim credit for my past experiences in work practice. :o This involves writing some essays(aahh) As I have not written as essay for a long time, I need some help in getting started. Any ideas anyone?

Susan, :)

What's your problem in starting? If you don't want to air your 'rustiness', please feel free to PM me, but we're not judgmental on here!! We're all rusty when we return to things we haven't done for a while, after all. YOU SHOULD SEE MY DRIVING!! xD:(

Do you perhaps feel unsure what to a) include,or :( how to physically begin the writing? I would suggest if a) - make a list of what you think needs to be in there, then look at that for inspiration;

if :( - Restate, in your own words, the objective of your title, sub-dividing in your head then on the screen as you go along - then carry on from where you arrived at. You can go back and change the beginning later - if you've done it on the PC!! In fact, you can change anything later!!

Moral?? :o

Get on with it!! :wacko:

Best of luck, let us know how it's going, please

Sue :DxD

• 4 months later...
I have just started on a BA degree course with Dundee University on Early Childhood Studies.  As I am one of the oldies who qualified many years ago (20 to be exact) I have to claim credit for my past experiences in work practice.  :o This involves writing some essays(aahh) As I have not written as essay for a long time, I need some help in getting started.  Any ideas anyone?

19426[/snapback]

Hi Susan

I am just coming to the end of my early childhood studies course ending on the 3rd of May.

I have attached my last law essay based on section 86 (childrens admissons to schools).

It's quite heavy but the referencing is correct. My style of writing may not suit how you write but it might give you some guide lines. (If you can understand it) I a first for this one (I don't know how they grade at your university but they do a 1 to 16 at Middlesex University 1-3 being a first etc.

There are a couple of brilliant books that have helped me as well they are as follows

The Study Skills Handbook

By Stella Cottrell

ISBN 0333751892

Writing at University

By Phyllis Creme

Mary R. Lea

ISBN 033519642X

The Good Study Guide

By Andrew Nothedge

The Open University

ISBN 0749200448

Good luck and if there is any thing else I can help you with then let me know

Carolann xD

section_86_3_000_word_essay.doc

hi, i've just finished the BA in early childhood studies with dundee university, i gradate in june. i agree essay writing is daunting at first but the tutors are great and will guide you. can i recomend the book "The Good Study Guide" by Andrew Northedge if it hasn't already been recommended to you. I found it a great help. Mind maps also help. Write down the central topic and link in everything you know and want to include in the essay, then just let it flow. Once the first one is over, it does get easier. Are you doing it with a group or going it alone? I mostly did it on my own if you want to ask anything else or want to talk to someone who has been there, please feel free.

best of luck.

Sheila.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)