Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Impact Of The Eyfs On Childminders And On Childminders Practice

Hi

To all childminders, I am a registered childminder and am currently undertaking my BA (Hons) Education and Childcare and am doing my dissertation on

What effect has the implementation of the EYFS and its impact on the role of the Registered Childminder

If anybody has any viewpoints they would like to share with me then I would be very pleased. I am also compiling a questionnaire for childminders, go request them to give their views on specific areas for my dissertation, I would be really grateful when I post this if as many of you will answer as possible.

Many Thanks

Debs

Hi, I think that many childminders are unhappy with the EYFS primarily due to the huge amount of paperwork it creates.It has to be said that for many of us our practice hasn't changed because what we provide meets the expectations of the EYFS but sadly this is not always recognised by other professionals.

Carol

Hi, as a childminder with 7 under 5 I sall doing 3/4 days I seem to spend hours doing paperwork, I try to keep it to a minimum, but each has their own learning journey and observations, next steps, termly reports, liasing with others .....does take a large amount of my time( most unpaid as I find it very difficult while I am minding) so tend to do it evening.

Having said all that I am a bit of a perfectionist!!! and I actually enjoy it, It also make the job interesting and I actually feel valued, it keeps me motivated and using the EYFS I feel it keeps me focused, I can dip in and out of the pack, loads of useful resources , ideas and just by looking at development matters, effective practice etc.. is a grat help.

But then I have never worked in a nursery setting, and just a gut reaction to know what I do is right is not enough....

As we tend to work in isolation, I think its great at giving me the support, to know that what I do is right.

Hi Deb, after reflecting on my practice i have been able to see more improvements i have updated policies added new polices, gained a smoke alarm log which i do weekly, updated escape plan with the help of the children, do more risk assesments now again involving the children which helps them learn about their safety. Have always done planning, special books etc this may now take a little longer.

I think the working in parnership with the parents have improved further within planning and next steps, some have become more involved within diaries after encouragement . Just a few points hope they help :o The pack and cd are also very helpful for getting ideas

Guest jane707

I love the Eyfs - but then I wasn't a fan of birth to 3.

I think the main thing childminders are frightened about are the learning journeys and doing written obs / assessments / planning etc. It's something we have done in our heads every single day but to write it down is something else.

Also Eyfs is not inclusive. You oculd have the best childminder in the world but if s/he does not have the written skills needed to make it work, s/he is never going to achieve the Ofsted status she might otherwise deserve under Eyfs.

feel free to send me your questionaire when it is ready. :o

Guest cathy m

I'm happy to complete your questionnaire and am also topping up to BA (hons) but in Early Years at the moment

Cathy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)