Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Qualifications - Confused With All The Info I Have Been Reading.

can someone confirm what is meant by 'full and relevent qualification'? i have been onto the CWDC websit to check the qualification list but i still have some questions as to what it actually means. :o

can a memeber of staff be counted in ratios if he/she is working towards a level 3 qualification? the reason i ask this is because if he/she has not completed their qualification then surely its not 'Full'

is it coming in that level 3 is the minimum qualification?

and

who is responsible for leading practise in the early years foundation stage? the manager, the deputy, the room leader, the EYP, the graduate with level 6 but not EYP, the practitioners, the QTS, who?

whats the difference betwen QTS and EYPS - or this a completely different debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is anyone else as confused as me? xD

thank you

Well, I'm working towards level 3, and I am included in ratios. But then again, I was included in ratios when I wasn't doing any training at all.

But I don't know if this is different from setting to setting?

I know there was a lot of confusion about the "Full and relevant" thing a while ago, when one of the qualifications was missing off the list on the CDWC website - I can't remember which one, sorry! Hali or Maz (the only names I know will know!) as well as many others who contributed to the thread will know about that.

Sorry I can't be of much help, I just don't get any of that stuff at all. In one ear out the other :o

I hope someone more knowledgable is along to help you soon!

Well, I'm working towards level 3, and I am included in ratios. But then again, I was included in ratios when I wasn't doing any training at all.

But I don't know if this is different from setting to setting?

I know there was a lot of confusion about the "Full and relevant" thing a while ago, when one of the qualifications was missing off the list on the CDWC website - I can't remember which one, sorry! Hali or Maz (the only names I know will know!) as well as many others who contributed to the thread will know about that.

Sorry I can't be of much help, I just don't get any of that stuff at all. In one ear out the other :o

I hope someone more knowledgable is along to help you soon!

thank you, i currently include a trainee practitioner in the ratios but i read or heard somewhere that staff can not be counted in ratios if they dont have s 'full and relevant' qualifictaion, once the new qualification list is implimented.

if anyone knows please let me now.

thanks

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but will attempt to answer some of your queries best I can

1) I believe that 'full and relevant' relates to if training covers certain areas- the CWDC lists qualifications that are not deemed as such if for instance unit on...has not be completed or not in enough depth...hope that makes some sort of sense :o

2) If staff have a Level 2 qualification then yes they are counted within ratios- I think there have been many recent discussions on staff who may not yet be qualified but due to experience and competence EYFS states that as long as they over 18 (correct me if age is wrong) they may be included in ratios. Also if it an action plan regarding training towards level 3 is devised then Ofsted recognise that staff member is part of the ratios, although this has been contested by some O bodies as previous discussions have mentioned. All settings should have a level 3 on premises and in a leading position (manager, leader etc)

3) Not sure about this q for definate...I had heard rumours of level 3 being minimum but don't quote me

4) Again not entirely sure but surely someone (may be more than one person) in a managerial/ leading position would be ultimately responsible for leading practice- I am deputy and whilst there is Leader and Committee Chair above me I am still responsible for leading practice to other staff as I am a role model

5) QTS means you can teach in a school...EYP is similar in that it is a status NOT a qualification. You cannot teach in a school with EYP but you can lead practice within foundation stage- EYP is the current government's way of improving outcomes for children through the quality of provision in early years education. So long as you have either EYP or QTS ratio can be raised to 1:13

I hope that is of some help, if not someone much more knowledgeable will expand or correct me soon enough! xD

Forgot to add hello and welcome to the forum to my post :( sorry

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Hi

I believe that trainees over 17 can be included in ratios if believed to be competant and responsible...

Its also my understanding that if you are working towards level three you can be in ratios but cant be employed as a supervisor / manager and left in charge of a group...technically untill you have level three you are still working as level 2...if you see what I mean - you'd have to have a level three qualified member of staff with you - there must be at least one level three in a setting...and then theres a statement that at least 50% of all other staff must have a complete level 2 qualification.

I am pretty sure it does mean you have to have the qualification to be the level three member and the 50% level 2...the remainder of staff can be 'working towards'.

There is talk about level three being the minimum but thats an aim...not required yet.

who is responsible for leading practise in the early years foundation stage? the manager, the deputy, the room leader, the EYP, the graduate with level 6 but not EYP, the practitioners, the QTS, who?

Depends on what you have in the setting I'd think...if no graduate or eyp or qts...it'd be the supervisor / manager with support from Foundation stage advisors or support workers. If there is an EYP in place it'd be them...

oh bother dont you just love it when you type a post the hit the wrong button and wham! its gone!!!!!

full and relavent qualifications - there are so many qualifications relating to eduaction, health and social care and childcare not all cross over from one sector to the other so although a person may have a level 3 in needs to be on the CWDC list all qualifications need to be completed not just parts of ie a level 3 module doesnt count as the whole

students and rota mums can be counted in staff ratios if over 18 and deemed competent by the manager and adequate supervision is in place if the adult hasnt had the appropriate CRB and vetting checks.

trainee staff are counted acording to what qualifications they have ie if they hold a level 2 and are working towards a level 3 then they can still be counted as qualified, they will have undergone CRB,vetting and induction and are treated as staff

the minimum level 3 requirement hasnt come into place yet its still an minimum of 1 level 3 and at least 50% of the remaining staff must hoslt a minimum of a level 2 qualification.

EYFS should be implimented by the team as a whole to work well, either the supervisor, manager or EYP would be expected to over see the eyfs or a specific member of staff can be named as the EYFS co-ordinator like the senco and the child protection officer

qts and eyps forgive me if I sound bitter but qts is a proper qualification recognised by many, Eyps is a hoop jumping excersise invented by the government because they believe paperwork improves standards (another debate!!)

Edited by Alison

oh bother dont you just love it when you type a post the hit the wrong button and wham! its gone!!!!!

full and relavent qualifications - there are so many qualifications relating to eduaction, health and social care and childcare not all cross over from one sector to the other so although a person may have a level 3 in needs to be on the CWDC list all qualifications need to be completed not just parts of ie a level 3 module doesnt count as the whole

students and rota mums can be counted in staff ratios if over 18 and deemed competent by the manager and adequate supervision is in place if the adult hasnt had the appropriate CRB and vetting checks.

trainee staff are counted acording to what qualifications they have ie if they hold a level 2 and are working towards a level 3 then they can still be counted as qualified, they will have undergone CRB,vetting and induction and are treated as staff

the minimum level 3 requirement hasnt come into place yet its still an minimum of 1 level 3 and at least 50% of the remaining staff must hoslt a minimum of a level 2 qualification.

EYFS should be implimented by the team as a whole to work well, either the supervisor, manager or EYP would be expected to over see the eyfs or a specific member of staff can be named as the EYFS co-ordinator like the senco and the child protection officer

qts and eyps forgive me if I sound bitter but qts is a proper qualification recognised by many, Eyps is a hoop jumping excersise invented by the government because they believe paperwork improves standards (another debate!!)

Hi , i have a question regarding this aswell, we have students in at the moment on several different courses, even they aren't sure what qualification they will end up !!!,but the thing i cant understand is, the nneb/cache is a level 3 is this now equivalent to a teaching assistant level 3???

Thanks in advance for your replies

Gill

Hi , i have a question regarding this aswell, we have students in at the moment on several different courses, even they aren't sure what qualification they will end up !!!,but the thing i cant understand is, the nneb/cache is a level 3 is this now equivalent to a teaching assistant level 3???

Thanks in advance for your replies

Gill

if a person has an nneb/cache they can work in a school or nursery at level 3 its always been recognised as level 3 in both sectors because the course covers both education and child care, its the "original" childcare qualification back in the days before Btech and NVQ's where invented(now I feel old!)

several of the nursery qualifications cross over in to schools because the course content covers both care and education but alot of the teaching assistant qualifications dont cross over into the care side because they dont cover child care

Edited by Alison

hi,

thanks everyone, iv got it clear in my head now.

so my trainee practitioner working towards NVQ 3 can be counted in ratios, level 3 is not yet minimum qualification ..................... but watch this space!!!

and

EYFS is lead by all staff, overseen by manager, supervisor or EYP.

(Oh and yes i agree NNEB is the origional childcare qualification, and i say bring it back!)

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)