Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Hi

Just wondered how everyone else is getting on with letters and sounds. I now have some children on phase 5 and some who are not blending yet, phase 2. I am on my own and really have three ability groups, all who are supposed to have 20 minutes a day input on their phase! Don't managed this! I have tried all sorts of things and have managed up till now, but I could really do with some fresh ideas. Some children seem to have got stuck on phase 3 and I would love some fresh ideas to make the sessions a little more fun. We do the usual magnetic letters, whiteboards, fans, bingo, pairs. plus the games in the document but it seems to have gone a little flat. Any suggestion greatly appreciated and if anyone else has a large range of ability any top tips on meeting each groups needs would also be appreciated. I should mention that I only have 30 reception no nursery children and a good sized space inside and out.

Thanks

Jay

Hi

I should mention that I only have 30 reception

I jut want to say that you are a star to be able to say I only have 30 reception children!!! I have 28, which has gone up fom 23 at the beginning of the year, and that seems too many!! I love them all, but that many children with me and 1 TA seems a lot to try and deliver EYFS as well as I'd like to.

30 reception on your own ... poor you! I'm finding it hard with 30 and a full time TA - we now run two different ability groups, though each of these groups could easily be split into 2 again.

My only suggestion is that you try and give one group activities to practise/apply what they've been doing while you do a teaching input with the others and swop over, maybe doing an input on alternate days if necessary rather than trying to do both every day? Don't know if this would work for you. There are lots of great resources on Sparklebox - pics and words/captions to match; tricky work lotto games etc. And if you have an interactive whiteboard try ICT games too. I sometimes let my more reliable higher ability children 'play' teacher and they really enjoy this.

Good luck,

Harricroft

I used my phonics tracker I made (and have marketed - yey!) to highlight really specific groups to work with each day at storytimes. It may be 6 children who all still can't identify the same 'blends' or it might be 8 children who are all working at Phase 5 and need vastly different things to the rest of the class.

SO basically everyday, either my TA or I will take out one of these focus groups and work with them. This is on top of other things like a 3 way differentiated split session and the odd whole class 10 minute phonics session here and there. Really seems to work for me.

Hope that helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)