Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Brain Gym

Yes

Aural, kiesthetic and visual ( at least I hpoe this is what you're after)

Does anyone know if there are any Brain Gym exercises that shouln't be done if a child is epileptic? As I have heard a rumour that this is true and as I have several children with epilepsy in mty class, I feel that I should be aware of them!

Thanks,

Kate

Can't be of much help I am afraid but have heard a rumour about this too!

Can't remember the author the brain gym book in question but the childrens favourite is "Hands on your head" but it's quite a frenetic activity following several instructions in quick succession. Alot of the children find it difficult when it gets to "hands on your shoulders, hands on your shoulders, change them over, change them over" and the same with hands on your knees.

The 'rumour' I have heard is along the lines of the childs brain being confused/overloaded with messages and in children diagnosed with epilepsy it may result in a seizure.

Then again I think that no two children with epilepsy are the same, some are particularly photosensitive and flashing lights may be an absolute no go area whilst may not be a problem for another child.

Perhaps it would be an idea to check it out with the relevant parents, better safe than sorry

Hi there... Visual, auditory and kinsthetic are the learning styles but the picture number and word smart categories are based on the Multile intelligences theory (which is linked to learning styles) put into simpler language and used by the University of the First Age project...!

I'll have to double check at school for you and find some other references but off the top of my head I think they are...

art or Picture smart, word smart, self smart, people smart, nature smart, maths smart, body smart ,...... I think I may have missed one !!!! I'll check for you.

Hope this is useful anyway !

Best wishes

Galleon :D