Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Science In The Early Years

nickylear

Hello

I've been using EYFSF for a while now but this is my first post!!! scary!

I'm due to hand in my first essay next week, I'm doing a top up BA Ed after completing my foundation degree. The assignment is Science in the Early Years & Indicators of Good Practice. I did a lesson on forces & I'm just writing up about it, I'm in a mixed Y1/R class, when we first discussed forces a few children explained that a force is 'when someone makes you do something you don't what to', even though the answer was not correct I was still impressed as they were reception children.

The question I have really is, is this level of understanding average for the age range?

Thank you

Nicky :o

Hi Nicky

Firstly, congratulations on making your first post :o

From my experience that does sound a pretty normal response from a reception child. There are of course some children that wouldn't understand the word force in any context but the vast majority would understand it in the context you mentioned.

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Nicky and welcome

I loved the childrens explanation about forces and whilst you say it was wrong...it was actually right in the context of whatt they were thinking...being made to do something you don't want to.

I love finding out what the children are thinking and by questioning and discussing ideas with them as you are doing you can explain and help them find out more as in this case forces...I am sure you would have set up practical activities to show them 'forces' and their reasoning after would have been different to their first explanation.

looking forward to your postings

Tinkerbellx

Hi, thanks for your posts.

When I re-read my post I realised that I'd said that the child's answer was wrong rather than not in context to the type of forces that I was referring to & I felt awful, I think that the answers & concepts that children hold are often the best & most memorable parts of the lesson.

I did a number of hands on activities that allowed the children to explore forces for themselves (or at least that's what I intended) & it seemed to work very well. I got lots of evidence & pictures too. We dressed a teddy & talked about the pushes, pulls & twists we use to get dressed, once teddy was dressed we took him onto the yard on the sledge pushing & pulling him on the snow, grass, path etc, the kids loved it. When we came back inside after break I set up four different activities also relating to forces. (goodness me, don't I go on!! I'll stop now before you all fall asleep but needless to say the kids & I really enjoyed this session)

Thanks again for you posts,

Nicky

Guest tinkerbell

No you don't go on

You sound to have done a lovely lesson on forces very practical with lots of language and explanation...and the photos as evidence.

A tip if you want it ...I have a class list on an A4 and when I am asking the class ,discussing with the class...my TA jots down the childrens comments...she would put the question at the top ,if I do a few she may use different coloured pens.....I can then look atthe list after school or whenever to remember who said what and where I need to go with it............she could also jot down at anytime say end of lesson then you can really see who has taken on what you have been teaching......could also focus on a few children and jot on post its if popping thm in their learning journal.

anyway ..keep up the good work

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)