Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

If You Have A Momonet I Would Really Really Apprciate It If You Could

Hi everyone

Dissertation due in on the 24 april and while i have carried out all my interviews they were all in the same setting, in hindsight i realized i woulda got a better picture going round a few different schools but as time doesn't permit this i would really apprciate it if you could just take a few mins to fill in my interview questions.

The general consensus found in the setting i went to is that there is alot more national curriculum in reception that should be this was mainly due to downward pressure and lack of space. Also it became apparent that the move from nursery to reception was in fact going to be much more of a jump then from reception to key stage one as they go from a 2 and a half hour day to a 6 hour day and because the reception within that school is so structured.

If you havnt go time to fill out questions but have got any statements to make on this please please please write something! stressing out and any extra material would be helpful.

Thanx

Danielle

nterview Questions

What is your opinion on the value of play in the early years?

What is the difference between play in a reception classroom compared to that of a Year 1 classroom? Are there any similarities?

Do you have any experience within a year 1 setting? If so how did you manage the time for play and the time for study?

How do you prepare reception children for year 1 and the National Curriculum? Does the school have set measures in place?

OR

How do you deal with the radical transition from foundation stage to national curriculum that children face? Does the school have any set procedures in place?

Do you see any difference between children coming from different pre-school setting? Do you have many children that have never been in any sort pre-school environment?

Play is essential for young children to make sense of their world

What is the difference between play in a reception classroom compared to that of a Year 1 classroom? Are there any similarities?

In our Y1 class the set up is very similar but on a smaller scale and as the year progresses the teacher sets challenges within the areas.

Do you have any experience within a year 1 setting? If so how did you manage the time for play and the time for study?

I taught Y1 and mixed R/Y1 pre Foundation Stage ~ play was very adult led no CIL.

How do you prepare reception children for year 1 and the National Curriculum? Does the school have set measures in place?

OR

How do you deal with the radical transition from foundation stage to national curriculum that children face? Does the school have any set procedures in place?

We have an established transition policy and Y1 is very similar to reception so far we haven't encountered any problems.

Do you see any difference between children coming from different pre-school setting? Do you have many children that have never been in any sort pre-school environment?

Most of our children have attended our FSU (mixed nursery/reception) We do see differences in children who have attended Day Nurseries rather than a nursery school/class. This is the first year I have had a child who has not attended any sort of pre school.

Play is essential for young children to make sense of their world

In our Y1 class the set up is very similar but on a smaller scale and as the year progresses the teacher sets challenges within the areas.

I taught Y1 and mixed R/Y1 pre Foundation Stage ~ play was very adult led no CIL.

OR

We have an established transition policy and Y1 is very similar to reception so far we haven't encountered any problems.

Most of our children have attended our FSU (mixed nursery/reception) We do see differences in children who have attended Day Nurseries rather than a nursery school/class. This is the first year I have had a child who has not attended any sort of pre school.

hi marion, im interested to know what the differences are between children who have attended day nurseries rather than school nursery, sorry to hijack the thread benthedog!!

IN OUR SCHOOL THE JUMP BETWEEN R AND YR 1 IS TOO MASSIVE. THE STYLE IN THERE TOO FORMAL FOR SUCH LITTLE PEOPLE. TOO MUCH TIME SITTING . NOT ENOUGH TIME DOING.

NO EXPERIENCE EXCEPT THAT OF THE BEHAVIOURS GOING ON IN THERE BECAUSE THE STLE ISN'T RIGHT FOR THEM.

DON'T KNOW

OR

How do you deal with the radical transition from foundation stage to national curriculum that children face? Does the school have any set procedures in place? NOT SURE

Do you see any difference between children coming from different pre-school setting? Do you have many children that have never been in any sort pre-school environment? MASSIVE DIFFERENCES ARE TO BE SEEN!!!

WE OCCASIONALLY SEE CHILDREN WITH NO PRE SCHOOL EXPERIENCE AT ALL, BUT THOSE WHO HAVE ACCESSED NURSERY ELSEWHERE AND ONE PLACE IN PARTICULAR THEIR BEHAVIOUR COMPARED TO OUR OWN NURSERY COHORT IS AWFUL.

WE HAVE THE SAME ETHOS AND EXPECTATIONS AS OUR R CLASS. THOSE FROM OTHER NURSERY SETTINGS DO NOT!!

TO my knowledge very little play happens in year 1, more at a choosing time type use than learning though play.

none

swapping teachers, reading stories in the new room, reception will gradually become more formal as the year goes on, not what i think we should be doing but there you go.

OR

most of my class came from the school's nursery, only 5 didn't no real difference bwtween these children.

hi marion, im interested to know what the differences are between children who have attended day nurseries rather than school nursery, sorry to hijack the thread benthedog!!

There are noticeable differences in behaviour and attitude often the way the children behave toward adults is rude and unacceptable. The other difference we see is levels of interest and attention spans the children are more inclined to "wander" and not settle at a task and have great difficulty in whole class or large group activities compared to children who have attended school nurseries or pre school sessions.

Guest tinkerbell

I teach r/yr1 like Marion its my first year for over 10 years that a child has come from no nursery setting ie straight from home...the child took over a term to settle as did the mother who wouldn't go unless the child was crying and upset (then mother felt ok to go...very munchen if you ask me)..the child is doing fine .

as mixed aged class no problem with yr1 transition for my half,the other class (yr1/yr2) yr1 children have a weekly circle time with just yr1, science yr1 and friday (ppa) carousel of music,pe,games with yr1.....the class 2 teacher also teaches my class for 1 afternoon each week for the last half summer term.

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)