Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jack And The Bean Stalk Small World

hello, happy easter all. After the hol we are doing jack and the bean stalk. Does anyone have any fab small world activities realted to the book to relly get the kids inspired and talking? thank you :o

Get an artificial plant (pound shops may have one) and provide the figures. If you use a playmobil figure for Jack and a teen doll like Action man you will get the size diference right. As a child I always saw the story as being on 2 levels so if you can create a platform that the plant reaches to and the Giant is on the top level. A doll house on the bottom level could be Jack's house.

I'm a visual person and can see it in my head :o just hope you can understand it.

Wow!

We're doing Jack and the Beanstalk too after the hols, what a brilliant small world idea. Thank you Biccy!

Spaniellover - what other activities have you got planned to 'get the children going'?

Have you done a forum search? There have been some threads for this theme recently. The following website was suggested to have some brilliant ideas:-

http://www.pre-kpages.com/jack.html

Could you make a beanstalk as a craft activity using a variety of resources? Also you could link to growing your own beans.

samfrostie :o

Edited by samfrostie

We made our own beanstalk in class and then made a display of the beanstalk that the children loved to see grow over the half term and then we put one of our play people on it. We then put a fake plant next to it and the same small figurines near it. Only 1 of my class of 8 has imaginative play but I saw her sat with the dolls and her version of 'Fe fi fo fum'.

We also did some exploritary play with compost (£1 for a big bag from ASDA) and put 'magic beans' in it and some small world people in that too as well as tools for digging and plant pots. This didn't reach my one with imaginitive play but they all had a great time in the compost! We also had a switch in class called a Big Mack which when they pressed it, had me in my best giant voice saying 'Fe fi fo fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman' which they pressed at various points during free play!

We got some fantastic writing from the children after having small groups going in an 'adventure to the giants castle' then writing up in sort of a diary format. Children were really enthused by it, and wanted to keep going back, because 'the giant has fell asleep again'!

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)