Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Planning

Hi, we've been talking about the reception planning and how other schools do theirs.

We have : long term plans, continuous provision maps, weekly anhancements to provision based on interests and next steps and weekly plans for phonics, lit and num.

Should there be anything 'above' this, whereby we record what we have achieved and ensure we hit all areas of learning?

Thanks all

Hi emerald

We also use development matters and at the end of a week or longer highlight what we have covered but otherwise we do as you do but do not always have a lit or num focus but we do have a phonics focus.

we find this helps us go with the children more easily in our planning!

Thnks guys

Do you use development matters for each child or have a whole class list.

I'm not familiar with ages and stages, where do I find this?

emerald we know where each child is according to their learning journey but we also have an overview of our provision so we know what parts of the curriculum has been covered.

We highlight areas that are covered in our routine, from our continuous provision, from what we observe in CI time and then we can see what we need to cover by planning for it discreetly.

Hope this makes sense - not sure it does!

Thanks Emilia

It makes perfect sense and sounds just what we are looking for, what document are you highlighting for the whole class?

We just highlight the ELGs as we cover them and put them on a long term planner - then any we have not covered either through CI or AI activities by the summer term we make sure we cover. We have found that the ELGs gives us enough to aim for and focusing on any more than that is not manageable. We do know that there are many other parts within the ages and stages that we do also cover though.

Thanks Emilia

It makes perfect sense and sounds just what we are looking for, what document are you highlighting for the whole class?

I use the ages and stages sheets in the resource library here - i would link you to them but dont know how!! If you go into the resource library and open long term planning they are there (30 - 50 months etc)

We just highlight those at then end of each week to show what we have covered during a term. Sorry if thats a bit all round the houses!!

Thanks very much - makes perfect sense now.

Going slightly off topic, how do you reconcile the eyfs with the fact that reception is included in the primary strategy etc

I mean do rec teachers have to use these other documents too

No, the only document we have to use in foundation is the EYFS, we are not required to use the strategies.

In fact no one actually has to use the strategies.

We don't use the strategies but we are aware of what the majority of children need to be able to do by the end of Year R and we bear this in mind when we are planning however this is covered through using the ELGs anyway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)