Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Programs To Develop Writing/ Pencil Control

Hi,

I have just taken o9ver the nursery as part of a foundation stage unit and was wondering whether people had a set program/ development that they worked through with the children before moving on to letter formation, etc. Alot of pur children cannot hold a pencil with enough strength to form letters but are eager to join in with reception so I want to have some sort of program for them to work on alongside reception.

Do others do this or do you just have writing available in areas of the classroom as well as writing/ graphics table and leave it at that?

Advice will be much appreciated.

In my last school we used "Cripps-a hand for spelling" (LDA published) and the first 2 books are full of writing patterns. I photocopied these and laminated them to use with whitebaoard markers and although this was with Reception they would be equally suitable for nursery for handcontrol/ pencil skills. There are also some good sheets with letters showing correct formation.

You know but of course the children dont, that threading beads, doing jigsaws, using dough etc etc are all beneficial to the writing process but these sheets or something similar will make them feel the same and you cant do any harm if supervised. I do think that supervision is essential though to prevent bad habits taking hold if you are going to work like this

Good luck!

If you have access to an interactive whiteboard then 2Simple have brought out a new package called 2handwrite which will let them have a go at forming letters and records it so you can play it back to see where they started - we like it!

You can also use trays of dry sand/rice/semolina etc for finger writing - the children can just shake gently to erase... They also love the magnetic writing "etch a sketch" type boards.

Guest alisonjayne

one of our favourites is a builders tray full of cornflour mixture,they can form shapes,look at letter formation and have fun. We also fill this tray with a variety of materials including sequins, dried peas.......and they sort :D Great for fine motor skills. Another successful activity was magic writing using paintbrushes dipped in water on sugar paper, by the time they had got to the end of their names they writing had begun to disappear :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)