Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nuture Group

can anyone tell me if they run or their setting runs a type o support nuture/support group for children 3-5yrs for children in a nursery setting with speech and language or social/emotional difficulties please. A group that runs maybe an hour or so a week providing activites to support children who need a it extra support.

If so do you have a record sheet that is used to show the progress the children are making that you may be kind enough to let me have a look at thank you. and what your views are on whether it works or not and any information I would very much apprecite it.

No, but what a good idea. Could you just use observations and plan for group using these obs? It would still be very much individual wouldn't it? I have a little girl who has difficulties moving her mouth to make correct sounds, two children who substitute/miss out initial sounds and a little boy who uses a lot of language but doesn't necessarily understand what he is saying. An hour a week after school would mean different things for all of these chdn but I can see how we could plan some activities for all of them and then individual things as well. So they would all be looked at very much as individuals.I think I'd have some sort of sheet that showed what we'd been doing and obs of chdn and next steps. Now all I've got to do is persuade someone else to stay on with me after school ( my staff are paid hourly). Thank you Killowan girl, I've been no help to you, but you've given me a brilliant idea.

Posy.

thank you pleased I could help, I run ours on a friday moring at the moment and I take a group of children out of the main nursery into a seperate room. we do have a structure and boundres and planned activities short one as the children I foucus on are children who are to liud in class, to quiet and some with speech and language delay. We have noticed a differnce even something as simple as a child giving eye contact when previously didnt. I am using observation at the moment but am looking for a more quantitive way of recording itthan you

we used to have a daily "chatting time" when children who were finding it hard emotionally or socially went off into a small group with TA to play a board game, use puppets, look at comics etc., or whatever came from them the day before. This worked really well as we would keep the group the same for about 2 weeks and it gave them the confidence they needed and our practitioner a real insight into the kinds of difficulties the children were experiencing- we could then plan for them in the larger group/ environment more effectively. I will probably start this in my new setting soon.

This is something similar to what I am talking about thank you. Do you use a progress sheet or have some way of keeping a record of their progres thank you

Why not look on Nurture network website?

We are a preschool in a nurture School .All classes are based on nurture principles. We concentrate on Personal and social Development , speaking and listening and communication skills. Al classes have sand and water, role play up to year 6

no specific progress sheet as some of our reasons for doing this are, we feel, un able to be measured. Whoever does the session writes down what happened and how it went in a diary and we use this when we come to looking at learning journeys for individual children. All time well spent I would say and the children really enjoy it. Good luck!

thank you very much that is really helpful. I am looking at the moment as things as simple as gaining eye contact thank you for your advice everyone

Hello, I work in a nursery class and have been using the BLAST programme for the last couple of years with small groups of children with speech/language delay. It is also designed to help with listening skills and concentration. We first became involved with it through Sure Start and I think it was made by a speech therapist called Nikki Taylor? (this might be the wrong surname I'll check when I get back to work). It's basically made up action songs, six stories, and various games. The sessions need to be done daily and only take about 15-20mins. The programme lasts for six weeks and we have found it to be really effective. The pack comes with a recording sheet to be filled in a the end of each week. Hope this is useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)