Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Flow Provision

HI,

we had a staff meeting and the point raised was how can we ensure we effectively know which children are inside and which are outside.

we are a day nursery children 3 months - 5, and have freeflow access of our pre-school area. there is always one staff member inside and one outside, on the occasions that the children are all outside there will be two staff out there, but they come in as and when the children come in to stay in.

how do you ensure you effectively know who is in and out... obviously visual checks i know, but is there a more accurate (or effective way to check). right now the pre-school children come in to the toilet which is off the main hallway, door to hallway pinned open. the children use the toilet then come back to their room and either stay in or go out.

how can we monitor the movements of the children.

dawn

Hi Dawn

Although we are not able to provide free flow at our setting I have often thought of ways forward.

I would suggest an easel covered in fabric with self adhesive velcro pads attached. Provide each child with a laminated card with both picture and written name with corresponding velcro on back. As each child goes out they put their card on the board and when they come in, they put it back in the tray bit at the bottom!!

We use an easel in this way for self registration and each child puts their card on the board as they arrive. When they have snack, they take their card off the easel and place it in the tray below!! You can see at a glance who's at pre-school/had snack or waiting for snack and could also be used to monitor free flow :o

dottyp

We have free flow play and we just do regular (every 15 mins) recorded headcounts of number outside and number inside to ensure all children are accounted for. We recently had an ofsted inspection and she was impressed by our recording in this way

we to are free flow and every so often will take a quick recky ( sure that spelling not correct) of the number of children inside as they are easier to see

as much as i am all for self registering because children can be ina nd out at a drop of a hat picutres would be on and off like yoyo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)