Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maintained Nurseries Charging For Extra Sessions.

Can I just ask if any LEA maintained Nurseries charge for sessions outside of the free entitlement that children get. We are considering opening for full days and charging if parents wantmore than their free entitlement of 15hours but LEA representative I spoke to today said it's not allowed although I know of at least 2 other maintained Nurseries in our LEA who are doing this already. Do you think we should just go for it anyway or wait until the LEA give us permission.

I am not in your area but I know of at least one maintained nursery that does this. Children can pay to stay for lunch (before or after their session) and a small number of the older children are offered full days if the parents pay for the additional hours. I cannot understand why the LEA would not allow it as this would be how a full daycare setting would cover the costs incurred. Do you think the LEA representative understood the question??!

I am not in your area but I know of at least one maintained nursery that does this. Children can pay to stay for lunch (before or after their session) and a small number of the older children are offered full days if the parents pay for the additional hours. I cannot understand why the LEA would not allow it as this would be how a full daycare setting would cover the costs incurred. Do you think the LEA representative understood the question??!

Yes they definitely did, I think it will change when the new funding comes in but it raises lots of questions, where does the money go? Will it pay my wages? Will I get paid extra for doing longer hours?

We are a maintained nursery in the mornings and private from 11.30am through until 3pm in nursery and onto afterschool care if the child needs it.

Our morning children have access to whatever hours they need on top of their 15 entitlement.

Some stay all day every day some say one or two full days..... we aim to be flexible for our parents.

Some m ight stay for an extra half an hour for lunch!

Although forced into closing the afternoon sessions which were maintained, it has worked out better for the parents because it is so much more flexible.

I don't know how you could be told it wasn't allowed if you are only adding hours for the parents!

We started this Sep 2007.

School run the private provision to maintain say over what goes on and to preserve standards.

I work in both halves of the nursery, maintained and private!!

Hi

We are a maintained nursery and we have full day care from 11.30 till 5.30 but the extra hours are run by a management company consisting of the Head, myself (the teacher) and the chair of governors. They are separately registered with Ofsted and are inspected separately and the day care has to be sustainable as the education grant goes to the children when they are in nursery. Our day care is run by nursery staff who work part-time in nursery in the morning and then move with the children into the daycare provision. It also means that they are the keyworkers for these children.

The day care is available only for nursery children. This gives the parents the opportunity to work flexible hours.

We also have nursery places in the afternoon for those who want afternoon places but these children can come for lunch club (11.30 - 12.30 ) and after school (3 - 5.30)

if they need it.

Sue

Hi

The LEA nursery offers further sessions to children but these come under the daycare offer. I think that the answer you recieved by your LEA is correct, I do not think that you can just offer addtional hours to the children.

You would need to register the nursery as a daycare setting in order to offer any type of care outside of the free entitlement.

I would advise contacting your LEA again or Ofsted for adivice on how to move forward with this idea.

Hope this helps.

Hi, we offer our parents the 15 hours of funded nursery provision and then they can pay for any hours over and above the 15. We also offer a before and after school wrap around care club so in that respect the children can be in school from 8am - 6pm if necessary. Hope thats what you're after, kel x

we are a school nursery but also registered with Ofsted to provide additional day care places. This means our parents can use their 15 hours flexibly and can also choose to pay for additional hours (lunch club / full days).

We are havng the 15 hours offer headache and is v interesting to read what other settings are doing - those of you who offer the afternoons as paid sessions - do they count as childcare and have to be registered as such - does that affect ratios? Would I be surplus to requirements as the Nursery teacher? Would love to ring someone and talk to them about it all!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)