Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Use Developing Ideas And Methods...

Does anyone habe any great ideas for starting points for practical problem solving? What things have really worked well for you? Particularly very brief things that would work well in whole class session. (But any lengthier investigation starters would be warmly welcomed as well!!)

I once asked the children what the gingerbread man could have done to get away from the fox............ they came up with fab ideas!

Also have you ever used Billy Goats Gruff story and built bridges from stuff in the classroom - junk/construction kits/wood/ anything really - sort of a free for all!

When we did a French day last year we asked the children to make the Eiffel tower - just gave them craft straws/newspaper/card etc. and had some amazing results

The second two arent really starting points - but they may help.

We once went for a walk and "found" a teddy in a tree. Lots of great ideas on how he got there, how we could get him down and what we should do with him to warm him up while we got him back to pre-school.

Linda

I think the reason there's not been many replies is because it's one of the harder areas to assess through children's play. Have you looked at the exemplar video clips on the NAA website. There are definately some things that think into PSRN. I think the key is not to focus just on PSRN - from watching some of the clips, it just sort of comes through in other activities when you least expect it. Here's the link for the video clips

http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_19382.aspx

I think the reason there's not been many replies is because it's one of the harder areas to assess through children's play...it just sort of comes through in other activities when you least expect it. Here's the link for the video clips

http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_19382.aspx

That's exactly the problem I'm having!! I've got incidental observations and assessments of some of the children when things have come up just as you've said, but at this stage in the year I'm starting to get a little panicky and want to make sure I can observe this for other children. I wondered if people had any particular play opportunities they'd found especially conducive to resulting in this kind of behaviour? Home corner and snack sharing obviously good - any others?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)