Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Artsweek

I have just been given Artsweek to organise and am desperately trying to find a group who come into school and work with each class doing a Stomp type workshop. Also the same for street dance. I am in Oxfordshire and noone seems to know of any groups, has anyone had any that were good into their schhol, they need to be able to work with YR to Y6

We had a group of African Dancers a few years ago who worked with each class in the school Rec - Y6. They brought simple costumes and instruments - talked a little about life in African villages and the story behind the dances. They started the day with a mini concert - music, singing and dance. Then they took each class and taught them a dance. The day finished with a concert for parents with each class showing what they;d learned - think Rec and Y1 worked together so it wasn't totally nerve racking. Not sure what they were called, I could try and find out if you're interested, though the teacher who arranged it has left now.

I have just been given Artsweek to organise and am desperately trying to find a group who come into school and work with each class doing a Stomp type workshop. Also the same for street dance. I am in Oxfordshire and noone seems to know of any groups, has anyone had any that were good into their schhol, they need to be able to work with YR to Y6

No experience of a Stomp-type exercise, but I did do a drumming workshop at a training some time ago - click here to have a look at the guy's workshop. He had a knack of making djembe drumming accessible to even the most unco-ordinated person (ie me!). He's done a lot of work with whole-school workshops and although I'm not sure where he's based, if he came to Berkshire then I'd guess Oxford shouldn't be too much of a trek!

Hopefully someone will have some other suggestions.... :o

Maz

Have you looked at

http://www.communitydance.org.uk/metadot/index.pl

They advertise for dance teachers to work with projects in schools - might be worth a look.

I had a group from Greater London come into a school I worked in who did dance and drums but can't remember their name - bad day I'm afraid! will look through my old planning to see if I have their details! They did Brazilian and African drumming too.

As soon as I find I will post!