Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated Rice Banging!

Hi everyone,

My children have had the cars, building blocks and rice in the tuff spot over the last couple of days they have been experimenting with banging the blocks onto the tuff spot to see how high the rice will 'jump'! Has anyone got any fabulous ideas how to develop this, I was thinking some sort of experiment altering the height of what is droppped?!

Any better ideas from you lovely people?!

Qx

Saw someone on The Big Bang Theory who put cling film over a speaker laid on its side. In the dip they put cornflour mix .When the volume was turned up the gloop danced like Morph :o It's in the back of my mind to do sometime xD There's a few on youtube-one on a baking tray.

Sounds like they are into vibration and effect. Telephone with tin cans and string, tuning forks, do other items jump?, trampoline with a ball and child, working together with a parachute with balls, rubber band guitars

or try this

Take two balls, one large and one small, and place the small one on top of the large one, as shown in the picture. Now, drop them together. When you drop the two balls together, they will separate just a little bit. The bottom one will hit the ground first, and will rebound. As it is on the way up, it hits the small ball, which is still on its way down. So you have a head-on collision, between balls of very different masses. When this happens, a lot of the energy of the big ball gets transferred to the small ball, so watch out as the small one will end up bouncing very high indeed!

If you have or can borrow a gathering drum or any large drums they are fun to put things on and then beat with beaters, hands etc.

Bouncing things on parachutes, stretchy lycra material held out taut like a parachute?

Edited by surfer

A few of my children experimented and learnt that if they have loads of shaving foam in their hands and clap them really really hard - I end up looking like a snowman or having a really bad case of dandruff ................great fun :o

Hi I did this last year! We used several old tins (think they were quality street) put the rice on top and play to the rythem of a favorite song. The children loved it. We later on painted with this methord using powder paint and the tins. Spray the paper with a water spray and then insert in to the tops before putting on the paint and rice.. Lovley explosive pictures.

Kat

a tuning fork on a tambourine full of rice/sugar/sand is nice, too. (Not as funny as a tuning fork in a glass of water when they're watching the surface of the water closely though - used to save that one for my "favourite" Y6s!!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)