Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Challenging Behaviour

Not sure where to put this post so hope this is ok. In my reception class I have 26 children quite a few which have behavioural difficulties. I am at my wits end with only myself and TA in the classroom and thats the mornings. I do not always have a TA in the afternoon despite having a statemented child. I have asked the SENCO to come and observe one child in particular asap. A week later (still no observation done) the child hit a member of staff and was immediately internally excluded for the day by SENCO. The child refuses to do what is asked, pushes the other children, is ude, calls out all the time etc, etc. I am trying the 'catch em being good approach but it is very difficult to manage when I also have 3 children who also do exactly as they please. One girl got on a chair and took all my wall display of words down! She is very cunning and will gather any toy she fancies and put it in her drawer to take home or in her pockets. She lets herself out of the classroom and goes off down the corridor ( with the 2 others following). At lunch time she suddenly disappears and is found in the toilets further up the school or in the office claiming she has bumped her head. With only 2 of us in the class or sometimes only me and dealing with the aggressive behaviour I really don't know what to do next.

As I have said here before, I am not supported effectively by my school in CPD, advice, time etc and this is my NQT year. It's all a bit of a nightmare and there are statutory issues too.

I am really stuck....any ideas please??

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble, big hugs, keep your chin up and don't let the little darings get you down. Sounds like your doing a fab job. Have you tried cause and effect?? We have 1 or 2 little darilngs and i have delt with this a number of times in different settings. I have a thinking spot! where children go to think about what they are doing. Its a quite area away from the rest of the children. It has posters and books about good behavior. A 3 minute timer and a 5 Minute timer colour coaded so when a child is being undesirable we send them to the thinking spot and asked to turn over the relevant timer there they stay untill the sand goes through. If they dont turn the timer then they'll stay there longer, then you can go and explain why they were there and ask them why they were there. I've also use the parents. If a certain child is being a pain I ask their parent to come in we work together in the room them being solely for their child. Passing responsibility for their child behaviour on to them. We run through some ground rules first. Rules of class, Rules of helpers and staff. ect. As peoples conception of behavior is different. Some parents don't want to come in but if a child is being disruptive and aggressive you are quite within your rights to as for an exclusion. f you remind the parent of this then they usually come in. The methord works well and quite quickly, most parents don't like to be embarressed by their child and this does help supprisingly. As they continue at home.

Only a few ideas. Just remember only 1 more term to go!!!! salvation is near.

KAT

Hi - I too have some very challenging children - though I am in a pre-school setting and have more staff so I do feel that I am supported by all around me. The little boy I have will do everything and anything to get attention from hitting staff and children and kicking and breaking resources - I have spent now nearly two days with him trying to concentrate in deviating him when I can tell he is about to become disruptive - this is working, but only due to the other members of staff having to do more so I can spend time with him - it is really important for your school to put in place some support for you so you have time to support these children - how you get that I don't know, but not fair on you or the children who obviously are displaying how un-happy they are in their behaviour.

Good luck as as already said only a couple of weeks until loads of lovely eggs...............Dot

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble, big hugs, keep your chin up and don't let the little darings get you down. Sounds like your doing a fab job. Have you tried cause and effect?? We have 1 or 2 little darilngs and i have delt with this a number of times in different settings. I have a thinking spot! where children go to think about what they are doing. Its a quite area away from the rest of the children. It has posters and books about good behavior. A 3 minute timer and a 5 Minute timer colour coaded so when a child is being undesirable we send them to the thinking spot and asked to turn over the relevant timer there they stay untill the sand goes through. If they dont turn the timer then they'll stay there longer, then you can go and explain why they were there and ask them why they were there. I've also use the parents. If a certain child is being a pain I ask their parent to come in we work together in the room them being solely for their child. Passing responsibility for their child behaviour on to them. We run through some ground rules first. Rules of class, Rules of helpers and staff. ect. As peoples conception of behavior is different. Some parents don't want to come in but if a child is being disruptive and aggressive you are quite within your rights to as for an exclusion. f you remind the parent of this then they usually come in. The methord works well and quite quickly, most parents don't like to be embarressed by their child and this does help supprisingly. As they continue at home.

Only a few ideas. Just remember only 1 more term to go!!!! salvation is near.

KAT

thank you..I love the idea of a thinking spot! I will definately try that one out. When I spot to the girls (2 of them) parents, one said I didn't care enough and wasn't watching them and the other said they had no such problems at home! Not sure how asking them to come in would go down! I will ask the SENCO about that one. As for aggressive child, I don't actually think he would even go to the thinking spot without a fight OR he would decide that it belonged to him and make every effort to be there all the time...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I will keep focussing on chocolate eggs! And keep you all posted.

Hi kathyscitt, you don't mention your head-teacher. Have you asked your head-teacher to come and observe what it is like in your classroom in the afternoon. It sounds to me that your head-teacher needs to take far more of an interest because there is a risk to the children if they can get out of the classroom on their own and wonder up to the office. How on earth can you watch all those children on your own if one is being aggressive and 3 others are wondering off. You really should not have to cope with this all on your own in your NQT year. Sorry can't offer any help, I work in a Pre-School and not in a school and thankfully am never on my own. Good luck, keep us posted, mrsW.x

The rules are quite clear that in your NQT year you should not have to help with very challenging behaviour. Can you ask your mentor to observe the children? Either they are especially difficult, or you need some more techniques - either way you need more support from your mentor and everyone else.

The statemented child shoud have a number of hours per week that they are entitled to support. if they have a band D statement the money comes from your LA, but even if the statement is Band C or below your school must provide the support. If the child needs eg 15 hours support you could have some of that time when your TA is not there. If your school won't help you with these basic things you should consider speaking to your union.

In the mean time, keep cheerful. I am sure you are doing a good job. :o

it sounds like you NQT year is a real baptism of fire!!!

hang in there and chalk it up as valuable experience!! (what doesnt break us makes us stronger and all those cheesy one liners!!)

thank you to everyone for your support. I am certainly not getting it from school! Yes I know the rules too and I keep flagging them up to my mentor, FS leader, SENCO but to no avail. All I get is 'I'll take it to SMT of which they are all part of! Nothing changes. I am just afraid I will fail my year as an NQT. The sad fact is I am cheap being an NQT and as I have had a LOT of experience with EYFS ( I am a somewhat mature student/NQT!) they are benefiting two fold. I am thinking of leaving but it all seems such a shame for the children as I took over from someone else in Jan. It doesn't seem fair on the children to have yet another change in one year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)