Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning In A Mixed Reception/year 1 Class

Hi everyone, I only found out about this site a few days ago and have spent most of my spare time on it. I apologise if my query has been answered somewhere else but I am still finding my feet.

I used to have a reception class but from September 08 it became a mixed class. I now have 17 reception and 7 year ones. The year 1 children I kept, were still working within the ELGs.

My problem is with planning. I want to continue planning as I have always done for a reception class and extending this with Y1 objectives where appropriate for the children in Y1. But the literacy and numeracy co-ordinators want me to focus on the year 1 renewed framework. I am struggling and feel it isn't right for the class.

Can somebody please help? Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be glad to have found it!

Personally I would totally agree with you and I think the way you have been doing things is the right way. Unfortunately some literacy and numeracy co-ordinators get a little bit precious about their subject (i'm a numeracy co-ordinator so I have heard it from different places). They can get a bit out of touch if they haven't been in year R for a while if at all. What does your head think?

I expect your year 1 children are working at a similar level to your brighter year R children which is when it becomes ridiculous to plan separately for them and by including year 1 objectives you are showing you are thinking about them as year 1 children, it will probably help stretch those brighter year r children too.

I've never taught a mixed class but from talking to other's that have been in your situation from my maths meetings it sounds like they plan for year 1 and then apply ELGs and FS practice to those objectives. The truth of the matter is that good EYs practice will help those year 1 children make progress and if you can show that then they shouldn't have any complaints. After all if a child is working at a level where they are just beginning to blend their sounds to read and write CVCs for example, what benefit is it in writing a story or being expected to use full stops and capital letters. The basics is needed first which I am sure you are giving them.

Sorry I can't be more help, someone else might be more helpful. :o

Thanks for your reply. You're right I'm really glad I found this site and only wish I'd found it sooner. Have spoken to head and he says I can now do it the way I want. I just wanted to make sure I was ok to do it this way because when you get lots of conflicting adivce you begin to question your own judgement. Your reply sums up perfectly what I've been thinking.

Thamks again for your advice.

I totally agree wit sp61hj you need to take the children on from where they are and if that means they are not ready for the Frameswork then you are spot on.

If you look at the Continuing Learning Journey what it is saying is that in the first term at least in Y1 they need to be working from the EYFS and building on the strengths of the children as they move into the NC so if you have the 7 who are kep as they are still working towards the ELG then to work from the suggestions in the framework for Y1 is setting them up to fail.

Good luck!

Thanks Emilia,

All the advice I've received has been helpful and is reassuring to know I'm on the right track. Will now do it my way because I believe this is best for the children.

Hello,

I have a mixed reception/Y1, 17 reception and this year 5 Y1's. You are right to plan the way you think. My Y1's stayed with me as they were still working within ELG's and are still progressing through the profile. We went through Ofsted 4 weeks ago and the inspector was more than happy for me to plan that way and fully accepted that the children were working at the right level. I was really pleased as it was a plus for me after I have fought against the Num and Lit co-ordinator all year who insist I should be working on the new Framework. But as someone else said you'd be setting those children, who are struggling a bit anyway, to fail.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)