Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"letters And Sounds" - How Often In Nursery?

hi i work at a nursery, if we plan for this plan for that, there is too much structure and adult led actinities. were is the child lead activities which ofstead require, Letters and sounds

can be done whilst children play, and the adult enhance their play. Eg 2 children asked me to roll up some paper they put cellotape on it and blew down it i made 1 for myself joining

in. The children enjoyed how loud the noise was enhanced the activity by making an animal noise this prompted the children to think of other animals, and they copied, so planning was not needed.

We've introduced "testing" for auditory blending and segmenting

We play a game

I say

"lady"

pause

"bird"

what's the word?

I say

"car"

pause

"pet"

what's the word

Segmenting

I say

"carpet"

pause

"car"

what's missing?

"pet"

car & pet carpet

We just keep a note of who can and can't do this and also clapping syllables starting with their name then other words.

I did this activity with my children last week and was stunned by who could and who could not blend and segment - a v useful assessment activity - before starting oral and segmenting aspect - thank you!!!! Metal MIke here I come!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)