Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Night And Day

Hi I'm a new member and finding working my way around the forum a little difficult - I just hope this works! Im an NQT and teaching in a reception class. Our present topic is night and day and Im running out of ideas for activities and stories - any ideas would be gratefully accepted! Just like to say ive been visiting the forum for a while and think your ideas and teaching methods are fab! I hope to get some inspiration! Thanks x :D

I'm sure you will have used these already but I'm going to suggest them anyway -Owl Babies is great for night - lots of opportunities for talking about being scared etc. Also Peace at Last by Jill Murphy. Percy the Park Keeper story "After the Storm" is one Ihave used to generate role play - a storm at night and the day after.

Oops , I clicked on add before I had done! Activities we did last term when we covered this topic include making a huge display of night and day - the children added pictures of things they do at different times of the day and night and the display grew with the topic. We had a home corner and provided pyjamas and dressing gowns, beds and teddies etc and we set up the dolls house as a permanent feature for the two weeks of the topic, so that the children could act out the events of a day. We made a class big book of what we do in school during the day and we also did some work on what might happen in school at night - it got very bizarre with the children imagining all kinds of strange and wonderful happenings! Some very good speaking and listening opportunities there. We did two days work on animals that come out at night - owl masks and badger masks were very popular.

Thank you so so much those ideas are fantastic - I especially like the idea of PJs in the role play area my children will love that - they love getting dressed up! You have given me loads of great ideas cheers! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)