Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Planning For Reception

Hi, I've been browsing here for a while but feel the need to post today as I'm reaching panic stations; I'm a 2nd year BA student on a Primary Ed course and I have a week left of my assessed placement in a reception class. I need my whole week to go out with a bang as I'm so desperate to get all 1s in my final grading.

The reason for my panic is I need to teach a literacy session tomorrow that I can assess the children's learning from and build upon in in Tuesday's lesson. The current topic is Space and I have within arm's reach 'Aliens love underpants' and 'how to catch a star' to use. The class teacher has given me free range on what to cover objective wise but I was thinking towards CVC (or CVCC/CCVC for the higher ability) or rhyming words but I cannot think of anything!! The class has three distinct ability groups so the tasks need to be easily differentiable. I tend to have half of the class choosing while the other half are split into 3 groups completing an adult led activity, halfway through the session the children swap over so everyone gets a turn choosing and working.

The only ideas I have so far are to take a group outside on a letter/word hunt where I will have placed CVC words on the walls (jumbled up) and the children have to rearrange the letters to make the word and also to place letters into the sand and/or water and see if they can form words that way.

Basically I have free range of what I can teach and I am stuck!! Most children are just getting to grips with some CVC words, most can identify and say most single letter sounds.

Any help/guidance/advice you can give is wonderfully appreciated; quick responses would be amazingly appreciated as this needs to be planned for ASAP!

I tend to work in 2-3 weeks themes, and we did a whole school topci onm space last term. We focussed on aliens for a while. It depends what you want to focus on during the session - LSL/ LCT/ writing etc. You could use the aliens love underpants as an intro, talking about what aliens are. SOme children could write alien shopping lists uisng their knowledge of ohonics. They could use good descriptive language as they paint/draw aliens. Whatever Next is a good reception book, and lends itself well to role play/story sequencing- just need a few props! Again, some could write a list of what to take on a journey. Children could role play being in a spaceship, make maps of the planets they need to pass, having an adult to model and support good language. You could have a pile of objects / pictures that link to space and children could label them - writing the words or matching the words they have read, though this depends if you can think of simple words that they can read.

Thanks for the reply!

We've been doing Space since start of this half term, started with Whatever Next so we've done the role play, and what would you take to the moon, what would your picnic be on the moon etc.

Was thinking of reading Aliens Love Underpants and pointing out the rhyming words in there, giving the children some time with talk partners to think of other rhyming words as a starter.

Just thought about basing an activity in the hall that has a similar theme to 'happy families' party game; where the children are each given a word (hat, mat, bat, pin, bin, tin etc) and they have to move around the room saying their word and find the other children who have words with the same ending/rhyme. Dunno how that would work though.

Don't have a whiteboard unfortunately which is a bit useless, one is being installed after Easter which is no good to me - thanks anyways!

• 5 weeks later...
Don't have a whiteboard unfortunately which is a bit useless, one is being installed after Easter which is no good to me - thanks anyways!

Probably a bit late but you could try here come the aliens lots of rhyming words and descriptive language

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)