Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making The Site Better.

Steve

Hi -

In the near future, time and other things permitting, we plan to re-design the site and forums to help it work better. I'd be grateful for any suggestions you all might have. Anything along the lines for example of the following:

Things that don't work properly or at all.

Extra forums you'd like to see.

A different arrangement of the forums and categories.

Better integration with the content on the main website.

More content.

Different type of content.

Less smileys!

More smileys!

etc.

We would like to make it easier for members to post their own articles, links etc. Would this be helpful?

Are there parts of the site/forum you would like to see given greater prominence?

Do you like the personal aspects of the site - personal introductions etc? Does this help with the formation of a community?

All suggestions will be gratefully received - but keep it clean please...

Perhaps not perfect but extremely good :D:D:D I thought when I read your first post on this why fix something that ain't broken? It seems to be working well.

Perhaps some of the topics need to be removed now as they have been on the board for a long time with no new additions. If you don't want to lose them altogether because people may want to revisit them you could add a section for old topics and that would serve as a reminder for members who have been accessing the site for some time or as a setting off point for new members .

Obviously the site is popular as there are now 333 members and I am number 99 and joined at the end of April. 234 new members in two months is pretty good going!!

I am going to the AGM of our local network group for pre-schools next week and am compiling a list of useful websites to take with me and this one will be top of the list :D:D:D

Linda

Flattery will get you everywhere Linda :D

But honestly, there are big chunks of the site that need to be changed - some of them invisible to everyone except yours truly. I'd love it if the front page would update itself, but I need to re-build it so it is built from a database, which will take a fair old effort.

There are other things which are much more obvious - a couple of members (where are you Janice?), can't use the live chat facility and I need to sort that out. I would like to allow members to be able to submit their own articles. Lots of things which are all do-able but take time and/or money...

Anyone who notices anything obvious ( or would just like to suggest some extra facilities) - let me know!

BTW Linda - I've changed your anniversary date. Thanks for letting me know!

Regards, Steve

Hi steve

Im with Linda why fix something that aint broke?

I also agree it would be helpfull to be able to sort the forums/ topics so that the recent topics are quick to access and the old ones are filed away

also some debates seem very simlar but are in different topics, is there any kind of search for related topics?

a FAQ page would be useful

Over all I am more than happy with the site as it is and its such a relief to be able to use this site to find answers and share problems and silly tales!

Good point Alison -

I can 'disappear' the older topics very easily. The reason I deliberately left them visible is so that new members still have easy access to them, which provides a kind of store of knowledge and debate.

But older topics will still be available if I make them invisible after say a month. It's just people will have to use the search facility to see them.

I'll have a play around with it and see what people think. Thanks for your input! :D

:o Hey Steve I can't access the chat room either! All I get when I try to open it is a blank grey window?? I tried the site first when we were sharing useful websites in our Early Years cluster group and I make it my first port of call now when I am looking for info, particularly about profile issues, but also to support my work towards a Masters. I would use the chat room.... if I could get in!

OK you asked for it xD

I think there are too many sections - some have nothing in or have not been added to for a while :)

maybe condense them down so related topics are all together

I don't mind if the childminding one disappears :o

the site is fantastic so full of useful info

I love the golden lounge section some where to discuss other issues and generally relax

keep up the good work :(

Kazz

Thanks Lyndi -

I'll add you to my list of people with problems with the chatroom. The only thing I can suggest is that it is sometimes slow to open up the login box - you can sometimes be left with a gray screen for up to a minute before it comes up with the login box. If this doesn't work, you'll have to wait on my long term solution... xD

Thanks Kazz -

Obviously the pruning thing is becoming a regular theme - I'll give it some attention! And thanks for the info on the golden time/lounge forum. I thought people needed a place to relax a bit :o

Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I think this site is brilliant.

Its wonderful to be able to offload or share with others and so reassuring that my problems/ frustrations are not just mine but global. Particularly when we're all tackling profiles etc..

I like the site layout although I sometimes find it difficult to find what I'm looking for. Don't always want to actually track a topic but want to revisit.

Perhaps some sort of archive sort could be useful with keywords or something?

Just tried the chat room and was able to log in, previously I've had no success. But couldn't work out how to proceed and got a blank white box!

I used to subscribe to an early years site which went bust before my year was up, so its great that this is all free but you must spend a lot of time & effort keeping it updated. Please don't disappear.

Susan

Hi Susan - thanks for the comments and feedback which are much appreciated. Now for some replies to the individual points:

I know what you mean about wanting to keep track of certain topics without actually, um, tracking the topic xD

This is one of my main ambitions for development in the site. I'd like to provide lists accessible from personal pages which give you a more comprehensive 'history' of your trips through the site. You can do some of this via the 'My Assistant' function at the top right of this screen, and also the 'View New Posts' function, but it's far from perfect. (See below for reasons I'm not progressing here at the moment...)

The archive function again is an objective. You obviously can do an ordinary search for keywords, but a proper archive function for obsolete or closed topics is another ambition. It's a shame to lose sight of really useful conversations that have come to a full halt, but at the same time, it makes it difficult to see the wood for the trees if we just leave them all visible.

Re the chat room - when it works it works well, but seems to cause a few problems. We may need some more concentrated effort on this, or we may need to change the software, but while it remains little used it's a way down the list of priorities. (on the other hand, it may be little used because it doesn't work very well!) It could be the case that you got a white screen with nothing much going on because no-one was logged in? If you know any other members well enough, try emailing them with a time to meet up together to experiment. Or, if you see Helen or I are online at any time, send us a PM and ask us to join you in the chatroom.

Re disappearing.. .

We'll do our best not to. We've been trying to attract funding for the community to help us develop it properly. We firmly believe it has a great potential to stitch together geographically disparate settings into a mutually supportive network of professionals dedicated to early years education - teachers, practitioners, academics and students amongst others. Unfortunately, it is proving pretty tough to persuade local and/or national government, charitable organisations and others that we are justified in this belief - despite the apparent wealth of evidence on this site!

I think we can find ways of financing the hosting of the basic forum. But I think also that there is so much more potential to this community which would be enabled by sufficient funds. I'd like to avoid advertising and disruption of that sort for as long as possible (and I'm not sure that would bring in enough revenue anyway).

So what do you think (not addressed specifically to you Susan, I'm thinking of any other readers in this forum)? If we don't manage to secure funding, is properly developing a community and resource like this worth a subscription fee? Do you have any other ideas for properly funding it's development? I'd be interested in hearing your views, if any of you are still awake at the end of this (I've just realised) soporifically long post. Sorry... :o

Hi Steve,

it had occurred to me that the white screen of the chat room was an indication that noone else was there but how do you know, when you don't know?!

I often feel I'm chatting when following the threads!

I've no suggestions re funding except that this site shouldn't disapppear. I would be more than willing to pay a small subscription, but do feel that people shouldn't have to buy before they try! I don't buy other things without a moneyback guarantee if it doesn't suit or some sort of pre-purchase evaluation.

As I have said before, the wonderful thing about finding your link from tes is the feeling of inclusion that it has given me. I know am lucky to work with a head who has a sound understanding of early years and is determined to do the right thing so theres never any conflict but in the wider circle of people I work alongside, ie in other settings, there is a general view that children should be in nursery until at least 5, and as I am in an infant school I must be the enemy. I see my mission as to make sure KS1 becomes more like FS than the other way round! And we have taken small steps on that route. Anyway I digress.

I'll have a play with the My assistant when the family aren't clamouring for their tea!

Meanwhile keep up the good work.

Susan

Hi Susan -

I know exactly what you mean re not paying a subscription till you know what you're getting. It's a long way from coming to that, and I would like the site to offer a lot more if we did go down that road - I'm just thinking long term about the sustainability of the site.

Go and feed the children, quick!

Hi Steve

I agree with Susan that I would be willing to pay a small fee to keep the site going if that is what it takes.

This site makes you realise that you are not alone, we all have the same problems and we need somebody to sound off to. Three years ago some colleagues of mine set up Stockport Pre-school Providers and I joined them at the outset and became the treasurer. We pay £20 a year subscription and for that we receive regular newsletters, hold meetings and receive reports back from EYDCP meetings. We are a group of pre-schools who support one another and give each other ideas etc. Exactly like this site. Both are invaluable!!!!!!

I realise that making a charge is not what you want but I am sure that the majority of members would be willing to pay something for the peace of mind that there is somebody there to ask ideas of, pose problems to and just generally moan to!!!!!! :oxD

Linda

Thanks Linda -

Good feedback!

I'm still not giving up on the idea that those responsible for developing the Foundation Stage - EYDCP's, the DfES, Surestart Unit etc., will recognize the developmental benefits of this community, and allow it to continue to be 'free at the point of delivery' to the users.

Regards, Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

HI - absolutely love the site, especially as I'm involved in a lot of research at the moment and find the wide variety of topics fascinating. It is taking me a while to find my way around tho. It might just be me being a touch slow but I actually find it quite hard to navigate - not necessarily sure which forum to look in therefore its a bit time consuming. Really like the research links. Also having trouble with the chatroom. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mandy, that's excellent feedback!

The navigation thing is something I'm thinking about at the moment. There are advantages and drawbacks to the various types of forum system available and I know I haven't got it right yet. I wanted to make the topics permanently available so they build up into an archive, but I can see that they make it a little crowded. Perhaps we can also adjust the names of the categories and forums in the light of what people have been posting. Suggestions from any of the readers of this forum would be appreciated!

I know the chat room is a bit of a problem for a number of members. Without getting too technical, the chatroom is javascript based, which means the program is actually run on your computer, not on the host - and this can be affected by the settings on your pc. A solution I'm looking into is to change to a chatroom which is not run by a program on your pc. The chatroom is also not heavily used, so it's quite lucky to find yourself logging in when others are also logged in. This obviously is about as useful as being the first person ever to buy a telephone. :o

Thanks again for your comments - and if you need a place to publish any of your research, we'd be delighted! :D

I would just like to re-iterate what has already been said that this is a really good site and you should feel very proud with yourselves for what you have achieved.

But I know what you mean - everything can be improved - but how.

My only criticism/fault would be that there are too many 'threads within threads'. For example I came on this board by chance, went back to the main board then couldn't remember where this board was. Took lots of opening and closing of links to find it again.

I would happily pay a subscription to keep up membership but agree that you can't expect people to pay "up front". Perhaps you could have a few sample pages or message boards for 'enquirers' and then only allow access to other boards by paid membership. Sounds simple but I expect it's harder to put into practice.

Anyway I really admire the time you spend on the site - can't be easy with a young family and business to run.

Keep up the good work!