Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Needed- Super Duper Fantastic Calculating Activity For Observation By

Guest kelh81

Guest kelh81

The areas for focus are:

Provision for more able children (I will work with this group)

Support for EAL children (luckily I have the EAL TA timetabled in with me for the session so she will work with them)

Linked activities outside (TA role)

Any ideas gratefully rceeived! :o

Thank you in advance

K

P.S. I teach Reception!

Guest kelh81
What's your theme / topic?

Got lots of ideas ... need to have something to hang them on!

pw

Dinosaurs- just started it this week and the kids love it!

How about the story "harry and the bucket full of dinosaurs"

range of buckets - estimate how many dinos will fit in? - fill with dinos - children to discuss how you know it's full (do dinos fall out the top / can you wedge any more in? / doe it make a diff. which dinos you use?)

fill buckets - compare to estimate - count the dino's - order the results - decide and design a way of recording results (Dino bar chart colour coded to bucket maybe, or a tally as one count and one records (on a clipboard of course))

Most able children - how could you make this fair (same dinos in all buckets, time limit on bucket filling?, have to toss dinos in to prevent careful placing maybe?)

EAL - use book - cards of beginning / middle end - order story. Match dinos in story to dinos in class. count dino's into bucket together counting aloud pointing to numbers on number line as you go

Outside number line

Match dinos to numbers

Dinos footprints in sand

dino hide and seek ("I've hidden 5 dinos where are they? use positional language higher lower etc use hot cold to give ideas of direction)

I like this - i'd like to do it!!

Good luck

pw

Picture cards with dinosaurs on them, some with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 etc dinosaurs. (Dinosaur wrapping paper works well). Chose a total eg 10. Children walk around the room and have to find other children whose dinos can be added to theirs to make 10 altogether. Then they have to find a way, in their little groups, to record the sum, either pictorally or using numbers and symbols.

Helen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)