Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safe Practice

The HLTA who covers my PPA for 12 children in my nursery class joins up with the reception TA and 30 reception children to teach Sticky Kids (music and movement) in the hall. Is it safe practice to have 42 young children together in the hall with a HLTA and a TA?

I know in Nursery it is 1:13 but not sure when all of Reception are mixed with Nursery if it is still the case. Should it be 3:39 as in Nursery?

Thanks once again for all your responses.

Sue

x

Hi

I would think that if the hall was big enough and you felt it was a safe space for them then that many children should be OK.

But I'm sure you would need another TA as the ratio for Reception in 1:15. You would need 2 TAs for the Reception and 1 for the Nursery. I have been told that for best practice, when children are mixed, you should go for the lowest ratio so for the mixed group would be 1:13 or 3:39.

Hope that makes sense. I think maybe you should speak to the R teacher as that 1 TA with those 30 children should be 2 TAs.

Stick Kids sounds fun though - just googled it! My children could do with something similar - is it good?

Edited by Guest

cant remeber this off the top of my head but was reading about mixing reception and nursery classes in the eyfs welfare guidance book, so i suggest that might be a good place to look

Stick Kids sounds fun though - just googled it! My children could do with something similar - is it good?

We use the sticky kids dvd and the kids love it and they can all join in.

Unfortunately, reception ratio is 1:30 not 1: 15.

As mixing the children in this way means that there is an adult to deal with any mishaps and an adult to supervise the children and as they are participating in quite a structured activity this seems like a good way to cope with PPA.

Guest heleng

As Susan says the ratio for Reception is 1:30 so they are within the legal ratios as one adult would be considered covering the nursery ratio of 1:13 and the other adult the Reception ratio of 1:30.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)