Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curriculum And General

Hi everyone, does everyone use WALT and WILF with their reception children? I base both of these on Shirley Clarke's ideas and have just been critisized in an observation for having the success criteria as steps to achieve the learning outcome.

What does everyone else do?

I used to use WALT and WILF when I was teaching in Y1 and Y2 but I don't do this anymore. I tell the children what they are goin to learn in simples terms and then at review time we discuss what we know now that we didn't know before. I really don't like the idea of putting a KS1 or KS2 model onto what we are doing in EYFS. I also have a lot of young children in my class!

What specifically was the criticism and the rationale for it?

In one observation done by a literacy trainer, everything was great, exactly how it was wanted and I had modelled it on CPD that I was sent on. The next observation was done by a member of staff and I was told the Success criteria needed to be much simpler. There definately seems a tension between the two coupled with the HT saying after any CPD your practice should change. I am at a bit of a disadvantage being an NQT as you can imagine.

We have to write it all done and read it through with the children. I do find writing success criteria as steps to achieve the outcome are helpful for the children though as they can easily achieve it or at least know what they need to try and do.

Does anyone else do review time mentioned here. That sounds like a really good idea but when do you get time to fit that it!!!!!!

It's been raised in my school too. I've found it hasn't worked with our children, so I've been talking objectives and success criteria through with them.

I'd like to have a good visual way to show them so but haven't really come up with any good ideas! I'm thinking maybe photos of key success criteria - eg for writing a something like an enlarged picture of some children's writing with a clear finger space or fullstop. But so much of that kind of thing needs to be specific for individual chidren, I'm not sure it would work. Mmmmm, might try it for writing but I'm not sure how it could transfer for other AoLs!

Thanks for making me think about this again, it came up in an observation from my Head and been on the backburner ever since!

I've always been told that WALT and WILF aren't appropriate for FS children.

Its good to know I'm not the only one! As an NQT it is very difficult to stand your ground and it doesn't help that I have had loads of experience (and many years!) running nurseries and in EYFS and only recently completed my QTS so basically I have to prove myself first before anyone listens to my ideas. The Forum really helps my confidence and everyone has such fantastic ideas on here. Thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)