Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sounds Or Phonemes

We ask children for sounds as they probably wouldn't understand what we were talking about. If talking to adult formally about L&S would prob use correct terminology (if can remember the right term for right thing!), to introduce to parents would again start with sounds and then introduce correct terms

Hope that helps but obviously everyone does things differently so will be interesting to see what other folks say

We use both sounds and phonemes, diagraph, etc with a reception class. They say during phonics thats a vowel thats a diagraph, thats an end sound.

Children pick up the terminology quickly, and I think would encourage and support the parents use of it as well.

have started to use 'phonemes' this year with my reception class, they have picked it up quickly and use the term confidently and competently - haven't actually used graphemes or digraphs (yet!) but we do talk about alliteration.

We use both sounds and phonemes, diagraph, etc with a reception class. They say during phonics thats a vowel thats a diagraph, thats an end sound.

Children pick up the terminology quickly, and I think would encourage and support the parents use of it as well.

That's interesting. Our parents (and children) are from wealthy upper middle class backgrounds so could probably cope with correct terminology. The children, as you say, pick up anything. For example, when we do the pre-historic timeline, they're spouting the names of the eras much to the astonishment of their parents!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)