Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Area

Yes we do, we have storage for resources - which move around the nursery during session but are returned after use.I have: sorting/ordering/comparing (bought resources such as mini dinosaurs, people, fish, buttons, cotton reelsvehicles, natural objects, shells, firecones, stones, etc), pattern making, beads, unifix, compare bears, bowls, etc for sorting, number games/puzzles, scales (set up with different objects to weigh), magnetic numbers/boards, shapes (2d and 3d) number cards/symbols, writing equipment. clip boards. white boards, squared paper etc. Books such as 10 in the bed and characters (currently displaying 9 ducks 9) Boxes and russian dolls, silhouettes for chdn to match to resources such as line of elephants. Set of numbered empty plastic jars, chdn know they can fill with different resources to use in role play, and at tidy up time arranged in order. Number lines, bought and home made rulers, bead strings - i'm trying to mentally review my trolleys and work surface

Posyx

Yes we do, we have storage for resources - which move around the nursery during session but are returned after use.I have: sorting/ordering/comparing (bought resources such as mini dinosaurs, people, fish, buttons, cotton reelsvehicles, natural objects, shells, firecones, stones, etc), pattern making, beads, unifix, compare bears, bowls, etc for sorting, number games/puzzles, scales (set up with different objects to weigh), magnetic numbers/boards, shapes (2d and 3d) number cards/symbols, writing equipment. clip boards. white boards, squared paper etc. Books such as 10 in the bed and characters (currently displaying 9 ducks 9) Boxes and russian dolls, silhouettes for chdn to match to resources such as line of elephants. Set of numbered empty plastic jars, chdn know they can fill with different resources to use in role play, and at tidy up time arranged in order. Number lines, bought and home made rulers, bead strings - i'm trying to mentally review my trolleys and work surface

Posyx

Thanks Posy, we have most of those resources around the foundation area, but wondered if it may be a better idea to create a permanent maths station as we do with mark making etc.

I want one of these areas. We have just set up a small construction area and the children love it and so do I. It was a little project of mine and it sort of got bigger and bigger and I have nearly finished it, just a few little extras to add. My next area is either Maths or mark making (depending on when the resource unit arrives, I ordered it in July and am still waiting).

I will be watching this space for ideas and inspiration!! :o

i have a maths corner where i store my trays of games, camels, compare bears, jigsaws, etc

i then have a display board and i have made a display which tends to stay up all term. this term i have a display of maths in the garden with a mixture of activies by children and adult. i have used sparkle box for inspiration ie flowers in tens and a beautiful photo sent in by another practioneer showing symmetrical butterflies and numberline caterpillars

previously i have done a snakes and ladders display with giant ladders and snakes surrounded by numberlines photos, etc

in baskets i have books games related to number

i also use the tops of the drawers to have pattern making materials out or playdough with candles etc and birthday cards i change these "come and have a go" games fortnightly, we also have a table nearby with number stamps paper pencils stencils etc nearby

use clothes hangers which hang over doors the plastic sort to hang over screen dividers where i hang tubs of frogs camels, tins of dice and number fans etc

everything is labelled with a photo and writing

it is a lovely cosy corner and the children enjoy selecting their games and playing with their friends

Hi thanks for great ideas, I have made a start on maths area but need to add to it as still looks a bit half hearted at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)