Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speaking And Listening

Hi everyone

I was hoping that you may be able to offer some advice on planning a sequence for speaking & listening. I have to do this for a college assignment and for a placement though Im unsure about how to set out the sequence in terms of how long I say I am going to focus on one objective for. Im planning to have a tight focus each day for s & l activities for example at the end of the day....

Does anybody have advice on how to go about the objectives?

Thanks and sorry for sounding stupid :o

Hi Leo,

I'm planning for reception. At this stage I'm not sure where the children are in their learning as I haven't visited the class yet but the sequence needs to show how I will develop the childrens communication and language. I guess I would like a rough idea as to how others go about planning for speaking & listening.

HI Peaches, you probably need to look at the communication goals in the Guidance document and decide from there. If you are in Reception you would probably not go too far amiss looking at the green stepping stones! Once you have decided on your learning objectives you can devise some activities.

yes it would be diffcult to say what the children need to learn without actually haveing met them or interacted with them. Are they used to circle time- that would be a good starting point to get them used to a format.

I agree that circle time is a good opportunity to develop s&l skills, particularly with a new group; a good time for observing the children. When you explain to the class about circle time, keep the instructions simple, the most basic being that the only person permitted to talk (apart from the teacher!) is the one holding the "talking object", eg a toy cat, a shell, or whatever you have chosen. All others have to listen. Rather than allow free-flow chat, (ie each child taking about ten minutes to tell you about their trip to Tescos!) give them something specific to say, eg "My name is XXXX and my favourite food/colour/toy etc is XXXX". Then pass the object on. Is this the kind of thing you're after?

Hi Peaches,

Circle time is a really good one (we have a 'talking stick'). I would say that as with all practice in the foundation stage often you are planning an outline - but filling in the bits as you go along - there is no point planning a set of activities and then finding that the children have found them too easy / hard!

I would also look at the PIP's materials and a new publication called 'playing with sounds' this has lots of lovely play ideas for listening.

Hope you assignment is going ok.

Hi

We have been doing a whole school focus on s and l and one of the things that has been popular is giving each child a "talking partner" (not the same one all the time, I mix mine up so that have to speak to everyone in the end). On the carpet you have to sit with your partner and when the teacher asks a question you talk about it with your partner first and then some of the pairs feed back an answer to the whole class. The teacher can join a pair to model the process if the kids are getting stuck.

I know this sounds a bit complex for reception but already they are enjoying having a "chatterbox partner" to predict what will happen next in a stoy for example.

Hope that helps, good luck with the assignment!

Swordfish

oh i remember- when i taught a new reception class we had talking partners and they reported back each other's responses. The first time i tried it, they had to talk to each other about what they might have for tea when they got home. It took great concentration to remember that they had to tell us what theri partner was going to have. Kind of hard for egocentric kids!!!! :o

a good book if you are going to do circle time stuff for speaking and listening is circle time for the very young by Jenny Mosely and Helen Sonnet. It has activities for all the areas of the curriculum and nearly all of them are spoken

yes i have the book and it is quite good to dip in and out of. I haven't used it for a hwile- thanks for reminding me about it. Must dig it out :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)