Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pe

Hi

Told today we have to do dance beginning in Autumn, then add outdoor games in Spring and then add gym in the summer! This is apparently in line with LEA guidelines. Also have 5 slots of outdoor a week! What do you think. Big problem we don't have continuous flow. Is the required pe times a legal requirement as access to outdoor play is?

Seems a lot! Help very much appreciated :o

Hi,

From KS1 the legal requirement is 2 hours of PE per week. I teach Reception and we have 2 PE lessons per week, though they don't usually last 1 hour as it's too much for them. Do you have to teach the units in that order? I teach units depending on the weather! I tend do gym and dance in the colder months so we can be indoors and try to do games & multi skills when it's warmer. Plus some dance units fit in better with our topics, e.g. we incrporate divali dance into our festivals topic.

Hi,

From KS1 the legal requirement is 2 hours of PE per week. I teach Reception and we have 2 PE lessons per week, though they don't usually last 1 hour as it's too much for them. Do you have to teach the units in that order? I teach units depending on the weather! I tend do gym and dance in the colder months so we can be indoors and try to do games & multi skills when it's warmer. Plus some dance units fit in better with our topics, e.g. we incrporate divali dance into our festivals topic.

Yes, we have been given that order! It doesn't seem to have been updated since eyfs! :o

Yes, we have been given that order! It doesn't seem to have been updated since eyfs! :o

Could you ask for advice from your Early Years team, or are they the ones who have given you this advice in the first place?! I'm PE cordinator and have given the other teachers a curriculum map but have said that it's flexible with regards to which order they teach the units in and which schemes of worl/ sources they use to help them plan.

On a recent training day with our early years team I was told that with regard to the EYFS it is not a legal requirement for reception children to have formal PE sessions at all. All their physical development requirements should be met through their normal play activities in both the indoor and outdoor play planning. However, I would say go with what works best for you and your children :o . I personally find that my children do enjoy getting ready for a PE session in the hall once a week, and while they are quite short, it is good preparation for Key stage 1.

Helen

On a recent training day with our early years team I was told that with regard to the EYFS it is not a legal requirement for reception children to have formal PE sessions at all. All their physical development requirements should be met through their normal play activities in both the indoor and outdoor play planning. However, I would say go with what works best for you and your children :o . I personally find that my children do enjoy getting ready for a PE session in the hall once a week, and while they are quite short, it is good preparation for Key stage 1.

Helen

Yes, once a week hall session sounds good! xD Also once a week during outdoor usual sessions not on top of!

Thanks everyone

a curriculum map ... which schemes of worl/ sources they use to help them plan.

As Im now in yr1 this is one of the things Im struggling with and our PE in school seems to be non specific. Any chance of a peep, please?

We have the same system of dance in the Autumn, then PE outside as well from Jan and gym as well from Easter. In our case, though, we drop an outdoor play for each of these, so we only have 5 'exercise'slots a week whatever happens. If we did the outdoor play as well I don't see how we'd fit everything in. I do agree that it's mad starting PE in January. We've only done it 3 times as ice and snow have kept us indoors.

Our LEA advises that if the childrens' needs are met within their nornal learning opportunities then no formal PE lessons are necessary.

But they do say if you are offered hall time, take it and use it for drama, big movements, number games, treasure hunts, duck, duck, goose etc or parachutes..... in fact anyway you want to as an extra bonus.

We also do 15 minutes of write dance a day so the children have plenty of physical development opportunities.

We no longer follow a gym, dance, games scheme......

...... Luckily our school PE subject leader is in FS!

As Im now in yr1 this is one of the things Im struggling with and our PE in school seems to be non specific. Any chance of a peep, please?

Yeah no probs, it's on the system at work however so I won't be able to attach it until we get back! Off the top of my head, I think Y1 do 4 x games and 2 x multi skills as their outdoor slot, during Autumn and Spring they do dance & gym indoors then athletics outdoors in the summer term. We use a mixture of Val Sabin (I'm not a massive fan but the scheme was already there when I took over!) and LCP scheme of work whick is pretty good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)